Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

LOOKING for: need a havla recipe

vacuumfreak
17 years ago

Do you have one, and are the ingredients easy to find? Thanks!

Comments (2)

• booberry85
    17 years ago

Here are a couple recipes I've found. I have not tried to make them yet. I hope this helps.

HALVAH
    15 oz (about 400 gr) can tahini
    oil drained from tahini plus margarine to make 1 1/2 cups
    4 c flour
    1 c honey
    1/2 c ground almonds or sesame seeds
    3 oz (about 100 gr) melted chocolate (optional) Combine oil and margarine in a 2-qt saucepan and heat until margarine melts. Stir in flour and cook over a low flame, stirring often, until light caramel- colored, add tahini and combine.

In a separate pot, heat honey to the Soft Ball Stage, 235 degrees Fahrenheit (about 112 Celsius) on a candy thermometer. (Soft Ball Stage is defined as 234-240 degrees Fahrenheit--syrup dropped in cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when taken out of water.) Combine honey with flour mixture and add ground nuts. Mix well.

Pour into greased flat marble or Formica surface and press into 1" (about 2 1/2 cm) thick rectangle with wet knife. If desired, cover with a thin layer of melted chocolate. Cut into bars before halvah is completely cool.

Yields 2 1/2 - 3 lbs (kilo +)

o

Halva (Sesame Seed Fudge)
    2 cups brown sugar
    2/3 cup sesame tahini
    2/3 cup milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Cook sugar and milk in a saucepan over medium heat to just under soft-ball stage. Remove from heat and add tahini and vanilla but do not mix in immediately. Let it cool about 2 minutes. Beat with a spoon for a few seconds and pour quickly into a buttered pan.

• yakuta
    17 years ago

Halwa/Halva is a generic word referring to a sweetmeat in Arabic.

There are numerous versions of halwa and the ingredients depend on where it originates from. All of the Middleeast have their versions and Indians have their versions.

I am Indian and we make Halwa's out of the following:

Carrot
    Beans
    Semolina
    Pumpkin
    Assorted Nuts

I think one of the best halwa's is made with carrots. In the west it's easy to find carrots and it can be put together with a simple few ingredients.

Grated Carrots - about 10 cups (Peel the carrots first)
    1 large pint heavy cream
    2 sticks of unsalted butter
    2 tsp of powdered cardamom
    healthy pinch of saffron
    1 can of condensed milk
    A little more sugar (about 1/2 cup - adjust based on the sweetness you like)
    Assorted nuts for garnish

Cook the grated carrots with the condensed milk and cream until the water is completely evaporated. Add the sticks of butter, cardamom, more sugar if needed and saffron and continue to cook for another 30 minutes (you need to apply a lot of elbow grease else it will burn).

Garnish with assorted nuts and serve warm.

Goes very well with a cup of tea or coffee.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH