Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meandmyshadow_gw

recipe: looking for: fudge/mint squares

meandmyshadow
17 years ago

After my MIL passed away, one of her neighbors brought a pan of the most delicious fudgy/minty squares.

They were layered, the bottom layer being a really dense chocolate (almost like a cross between fudge and brownies) the 2nd layer was green and minty. Frosting, but denser. I *think* the top layer was simply melted semi-sweet chocolate.

I would LOVE to have this recipe! Does anyone have anything similar?

Many, many thanks!

Comments (4)

• Virginia7074
    17 years ago

Ah - I believe I know what you're talking about. Many, many years ago, DH and I spent the weekend with a friend in Columbus, OH, where we used to live. She made these incredible brownies - a fudgy bottom layer, about a quarter-inch of icing in the center and a thin, hardened layer of unsweetened chocolate on the top. I found a similar recipe once in Woman's Day, lost the 2nd page, wrote to Woman's Day for another copy, but the one they sent wasn't it. Tried some other recipes, but could never duplicate it. A couple nights ago, I was looking through cookbooks trying to find a recipe for a cookie exchange, when I came across this one. I'm about 99% positive that this it. I would probably leave out the nuts, only because I don't remember my friend's recipe having nuts. Tint the frosting layer green and I think you might have it! I haven't tried this recipe yet, but plan to do it soon, b/c I think they'd be good for Christmas, especially with a green mint layer.

Triple-layered Brownie Squares
    (from Sunset Cookies, 1991)

2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    3/4 cup butter
    1 egg
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup chopped almonds or pecans
    2 cups powdered sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    2 to 3 tablespoons whipping cream

For the first layer, place 1 ounce of the chocolate and 4 tablespoons of the butter in the top of a double boiler over simmering water (or in a small pan over lowest possible heat). Stire until melted.

In a small mixing bowl, beat egg and granulated sugar, then gradually beat in chocolate evenly in a lightly greased 9-inch square baking pan; bake in a 350 oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until brownie feels dry on top. Let cool completely in pan on a rack.

For the second layer, place 4 tablespoons of the buter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in small bowl of an electric mixer. Beat together; then beat in enough cream to make frosting spreadable. Spread evenly over cooled brownie.

For the third layer, combine remaining 1 ounce chocolate and remaining 4 tablespoons butter in the top of a doulbe boiler over simmering water (or in a small pan over lowest possible heat). Stire until melted. Drizzle over frosting layer; tilt pan so chocolate covers surface evenly. Refrigerate until chocolate is hardened (about 15 minhtes). Cut into 2-1/4-inch squares. Store, covered, in refrigerator. Makes 16

Mint-layered Brownie Squares
    Follow directions for Triple-layered Brownie Squares, but add 1 tespoon peppermint extract to frosting (second layer).

• meandmyshadow
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, Virgina! THANK YOU! :-)

I do believe this is the recipe. I will leave out the nuts (who needs those, anyway *wink*)

Thanks again, so much! I always make "cookie" trays for neighbors to enjoy around the holidays. These will be on the tray this year.

Anne

• obxgina
    17 years ago

Here is another very good one!
    Creme de Menthe Squares
    Bottom Layer
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    1/2 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    1 large egg -- beaten
    1 teaspoon white creme de menthe
    2 cups graham cracker crumbs
    Middle Layer
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    1/3 cup green creme de menthe
    3 cups powdered sugar
    Top Layer
    1/4 cup butter or margarine
    1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
    To make the bottom layer: In a medium saucepan, over low heat, melt the
    butter. Add the cocoa powder, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and
    add powdered sugar, egg and creme de menthe. Stir in the graham cracker
    crumbs.
    Press mixture evenly onto the bottom of an ungreased 13x9" pan.
    To make the middle layer: In a medium saucepan, over low heat, melt the
    butter. Remove from the heat and stir in the green creme de menthe.
    Gradually blend in the powdered sugar.
    Spread evenly over the bottom layer in the pan.
    To make the top layer: In the top of a double boiler, over simmering water,
    melt the butter and chocolate chips, stirring until smooth.
    Spread mixture evenly over the middle layer. Chill for 30 min., or until
    firm. Cut into bars. Keep refrigerated.
    I just realized the crust is not brownie type, but they are still really good!

• looking828
    17 years ago

This mint receipe can be found on the web site www.familyfun.com it is wonderful

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer