Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: a cake called......'Furstakaga'?

Posted by margaret1244 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 4, 05 at 16:11

I'm sure I'm spelling this wrong, but it's the best I can do because I'm working from memory and I haven't seen this recipe in 30 years. It's a cake batter that has a dryish, buttery texture. You fill the cake pan, press some of the batter up the sides of the pan, then you fill the center depression with applesauce, (that's what the original recipe called for, but I used peach pie filling which worked fine).
If anybody knows the cake that I am trying to describe and would post the recipe I would appreciate it very much.
Thanks,
Margaret

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: a cake called......'Furstakaga'?

It sounds like a variation of a kuchen. Check below. This one calls for apples, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Kuchen

o

THE ARISTO-CAKE, FYRSTEKAKE (www.fromnorway.net)
At first this cake might seem a little daunting, it requires grinding hazelnuts or almonds, but after that it is as easy as -cake. To make an easier version of the cake, but just as delicious, substitute the hazel filling with a layer of jam or applesauce.

1 large or 2 small

250 grams flour
125grams butter or margarine
125 grams sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg

Almond Filling
200 grams almonds
200 grams powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cardamom
1 large boiled potato, cold
1 egg hite

Crumble butter and flour together. Add the sugar, baking powder and then egg. Put 1/3 of the dough to the side, with the rest press it evenly out in a cake for, with a bit up the sides. Spread the almond filling out over the dough. Roll the remaining dough out to about 1/4 inch thickness and the cut into 1-inch strips. Lay half of the strips over the almond filling in one direction and the other half perpendicularly over them. Brush egg white.And bake for approximately 50 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Almond Filling
Grind almonds and mix together with the cooked potato. Add the powdered sugar and spices. If the mixture is too dry 1 tlb of water can be added.

o

It's Norwegian, huh? Good catch!

o

Thanks Ginger - coming from the queen of google, that's quite a compliment! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here