Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiggerluvr710

LOOKING for: chocolate covered cherries

tiggerluvr710
18 years ago

Looking for receipe for chocolate covered cherries.

Comments (8)

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

Marilyn/Dana has a recipe I'm sure is incredible.

• Tracey_OH
    18 years ago

Here's Marilyn's recipe. I made these and they are really good. The only caution I have is to not use too much fondant when you wrap it around the cherry.

Chocolate Covered Cherries
    8 tablespoons butter (melted)
    6 tablespoons corn syrup
    3 jars Maraschino cherries (with stems)
    1 can Eagle Brand Condensed milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    3 pounds powdered sugar
    2 tablespoons shortening
    12-oz. pkg. semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
    Blend together butter, syrup, milk and vanilla and add sugar. Knead and form into balls. Put cherries inside of balls (flatten each ball, set cherry in center and fold dough around cherry) and set in freezer for 1 hour. Melt shortening in the top of a double boiler. Add chocolate chips and stir until melted. Dip cold cherries in chocolate and drop on waxed paper. Makes about 125 cherries. Cherries become juicy as they set.
    Marilyn

• joulesR4me
    18 years ago

Funny I should see this ... I just finished a microbiology class and, when we were discussing fermentation and how many food products are the result, Choc Covered Cherries came up ... Our professor said that the cream inside is actually the result of a bacteria that uses fructose as an energy source and makes it into sucrose (i.e. waste product). And, depending on how much of the bacteria present (or sucrose) it would keep processing until it either became the creamy or liquid center .... Well, it goes something like that - I can't remember if it's sucrose to fructose, vice versa, et.al. But my favorite Choc Covered Cherries are forever looked at differently by me. She also ruined beer -- saying it can be viewed as "yeast pee". Gag.

• ann_t
    18 years ago

LOL! Well I never liked beer anyway but I love Chocolate cherries and even knowing this won't spoil them for me.

Ann

• shaun
    18 years ago

Gosh!

• beachlily z9a
    18 years ago

I got that same lecture on chocolate covered cherries. I thought we might have talked to the same person. The past president of my daylily club is a professor of microbiology. I have to admit, we do have some strange conversations! However, he didn't ruin my enjoyment of Marlyn's recipe!

• Cinderella
    18 years ago

I have never made these with the fondant but DGK's like the cherries on a stem (bought in a jar) just dipped in the melted chocolate.
    I personally prefer the creamy center too.

• growlove
    17 years ago

I arrived at this site a bit late, but wanted to add some hints for the choc. covered cherries which I have made for years. Making sure the cherries are drained really well will lessen the weeping that often occurs when they are dipped. I keep the fondant in the freezer and remove a bit at a time since it softens quickly, then back into the freezer once I have wrapped it with the fondant. I then take only a few out at a time to dip. If a tiny hole develops, I add a bit more choc over it with a toothpick. Mary