Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Pfeffernuesse Cookie recipe

Posted by ruthz (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 17, 10 at 13:29

I can't find my favorite Pfeffernuesse cookie recipe.
Can anyone help???

It does not have,

any nuts
any kind of fruit or citron pieces

It does have

lots of spices including cracked anise seeds, cardamon
and I believe molasses

Its not the very very crunchy one (I have made this one)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Pfeffernuesse Cookie recipe

This is a Martha Stewart recipe I haven't tried yet. You could sub 4 drops of oil of anise for the vanilla. And add 1/4 tsp. cardamom.
Would love to see your recipe if you find it.

Pfeffernussen

The snowy sugar surface of Pfeffernussen contrasts with the peppery flavor of these German cookies.

Makes 3 dozen

1 1/4 cups pd sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the confectioners' sugar in a brown paper bag.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, pepper, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and baking soda. Set aside.

Place butter, brown sugar, and molasses in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture; beat until just combined. Pinch off dough in tablespoon amounts; roll into 1 1/4-inch balls. Arrange balls 1 1/2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. (Dough can be frozen at this point, covered tightly with plastic wrap, up to 1 month.)

Bake until cookies are golden and firm to the touch with slight cracking, about 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer sheets to a wire rack to cool slightly, about 10 minutes. Working in batches, place cookies in paper bag; shake until well coated. Let cool completely on wire rack. Store in an airtight container.

From Holiday Baking 2002, Special Issue 2002

o
RE: RECIPE: Pfeffernuesse Cookie recipe

Thanks iris_gal, may try this next year.
I mixed my cookie dough yesterday from a recipe I found online. I'm baking them now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here