Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugaroverload

LOOKING for: scratch cake

sugaroverload
15 years ago

HELP

My daughter is getting married in July. I am going to make her cake in order to save money. Can you please tell me how to make a cake from scratch. She wants a chocolate layer, yellow layer and a red velvet layer. She wants them to be thick. I need the recipes and the instructions. I want the cake to taste as good as she is pretty. Thank you

Comments (6)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Are you talking about a full-sized wedding cake? Or is this just a small event?

• Bev Cashen
    15 years ago

Here is one for the chocolate layer that is very delicious. We made this for a grooms cake a few years back and everyone commented on the chocolate layer. It is also a great cake for any time, made from scratch and very easy.

CAKE

3 squares unsweetened chocolate melted and cooled

2 1/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened

3 eggs, room temp

1 1/2 t. vanilla

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 T.cornstarch

2 t.BS

1/4 t. salt

1 cup sour cream, room temp

1 cup boiling water

BAKING THE CAKE

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Lightly grease two 9 inch layer pans and line with parchment paper circles or a 9 by 13 inch rectangular pan (this makes a great 9X13) cake.

Cream the melted, cooled chocolate with the butter. Add the sugar until light & fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time until incorporated. Stir in vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk dry ingredients together. Add dry ingredients, along with sour cream alternating dry ingredients and sour cream until batter is smooth, mixing on the low speed of the mixer, scraping bowl often. Add the boiling water. The Batter will be thin. Pour into prepared pans.

Bake 35-40 minutes until cake tests done. Do not over bake! Cool in pan about 15 minutes, then turn out onto cake rack.

Use whatever filling/icing you would like, but one with a coffee/mocha flavor is best in my opinion.

Good luck!

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

In an email she said she was going to make a full sized wedding cake.

• colleenoz
    15 years ago

I hate to rain on your parade, but if you don't bake a lot (which it sounds like you don't as you don't have your own recipes already), a wedding cake is probably going to be a bigger challenge than you are up to. The pressure of having to produce a beautiful cake, on time, can be VERY stressful- and it's not like you have the option of saying, Oh sorry, the cake didn't turn out so we're skipping it.

• grammasc
    15 years ago

When my son got married last year they had, what I thought, was a great idea that might work for you. They had several round layer cakes - one white, one chocolate, one red velvet, one carrot, and maybe another. They were simple frosted cakes and since it was a fall wedding they were docorated with a nice bunch of fall flowers in the middle of each cake. They were then displayed on a tall display stand with each cake at a different level. I can't explain it but it was very impressive and each person picked which type they wanted. They are coming for Christmas and I'll see if she can bring a picture. HTH

• missemerald
    15 years ago

If you live near a Sam's Club, they sell a tiered display stand that is made of styrofoam which you can use to display three separate cakes as a previous person suggested . It isn't very expensive. But, I would caution you-- making a wedding cake can be very expensive. You may need certain sized pans or something like that, especially if it is for a larger wedding. Decorations can be pricey too, even if you are using fresh flowers. Cupcakes might work-- easier to make and to frost, and can also be arranged in tiers. Good luck!

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz