Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vera123_gw

LOOKING for: A Christmas Dessert

vera123
20 years ago

Need something to bring to a friend's home for Christmas Eve dinner. There will be about 16 of us & I don't want anything complicated. She's serving both Ham & Turkey & all the trimmings. I'm thinking a Trifle? Any ideas?

Thanks as always!

Vera

Comments (11)

• lindac
    20 years ago

My choice for a situation like that is always a cheesecake and some fresh fruit, like berrys...pineapple.....you can cut tiny slivers...or big pieces...serve it with the fruit or some people might choose just the fruit alone after a big meal.
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

There are some simple recipes from a thread at this forum below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trifle Recipes

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

If you'd like a cheesecake recipe, I've had good luck with this one. It's really not difficult.
    PRALINE CHEESECAKE WITH PECAN SAUCE (serves 12)
    Crust:
    1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup pecans, chppped & toasted
    4 TBL butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350°. combine the crumbs, sugar & pecans in a bowl. Add the melted butter & mix well. Press the crumb mixture over the bottom & 1 1/2" up the sides of a 9" springform. Bake 10 minutes.

Filling:
    Three 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2/3 cup evaporated milk
    2 TBL flour
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla
    3 eggs
    1 cup pecan halves, toasted

Beat together the cream cheese, brown sugar, evaporated milk, flour & vanilla. Add the eggs & beat just until blended. Pour into the hot baked crust. Bake 50-55 minutes. Cool in the pan 30 minutes, loosen the sides of the springform & remove the rim. Cool completely. Arrange the pecan halves on top of the cheesecake.

Pecan Sauce:
    1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
    2 TBL cornstarch
    2 TBL butter
    1/2 cup broken pecan pieces

In a suacepan mix the brown sugar & cornstarch. Add 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil & stir over medium heat until thickened & bubbly, about 5 minutes. Stir in the butter & add the pecans. Serve the sauce over the cheesecake or pass in a sauceboat.~~ (From Without Reservations)

• vera123
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Cheesecake & Trifle both sound delicious! I agree Linda, the fruit would be a nice addition. Thanks Ginger for the trifle link, lots of good recipes there.

Vera

• jenn
    20 years ago

Will it be a casual dinner? I'm thinking of something simple like Dump Cake, in which you layer a can of cherry filling with pineapple and cake mix, then top with butter and nuts. If you're interested in something like this, let me know and I'll post the recipe. It's like a cobbler. I know, the ingredients are boxed or canned..... but it's good!

You could take it with vanilla ice cream. Trust me, it's a huge hit wherever it goes.

• vera123
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Jenn ~
    My cousin has made this many times & it is good & easy! This might just work.....
    Thanks for reminding me about this recipe.
    Vera

• howefortunate
    17 years ago

I would suggest cheesecake with this yummy sauce over it:

Warm Raspberry Muscat Sauce
    This sauce is delicious poured over ice cream or cheesecake!

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    3 tablespoons light brown sugar
    1/4 cup Muscat wine
    pinch of cinnamon
    1. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet.
    2. Add brown sugar and stir occasionally over medium heat until dissolved.
    3.Stir in the Muscat and cinnamon and boil for 1 minute. 4. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the remaining butter.
    5. Mix in the raspberries and let cool slightly before serving over ice cream or cheesecake.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheers 2 Wine

• becky_ca
    17 years ago

Rum cake is our traditional Chrismas dessert, and this particular one has the added advantage of actually tasting better after it's sat for a day or two. For that many people, I would probably make two.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Grandma's Rum Cake

Recipe By :Teri Morrison
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 package Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
    1 package vanilla instant pudding (4 serving size)
    1/3 cup oil
    1 cup water
    4 eggs
    3/4 chopped pecans
    Glaze:
    1/2 cup butter
    1/4 cup water
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup Bacardi Rum (80 proof)

Mix together cake mix, pudding, oil, water and eggs in large bowl until well blended. Spread evenly chopped nuts on the bottom of greased Bundt pan. Pour prepared cake mix into pan and bake as directed on cake mix box in a 350* oven. Cake is done when toothpick inserted in center of cake comes clean.
    While cake is cooling. Melt butter in saucepan, stir in water and sugar. Boil for 5 minutes while stirring constantly. Then stir in rum. After cake cools for 10 minutes pour glaze over cake letting it run down all the sides and center. Let it soak into the cake for a while. Let cake cool until you can handle cake pan to invert.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    NOTES : I like to use Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum.

This cake really tastes best after it's had a couple of days for the flavors to blend.

• obxgina
    17 years ago

I'm going to make these for CHristmas Eve:
    Key Lime Mini-Tarts
    1 cn (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
    1/2 c key lime juice (I've used lemon or regular lime as well.)
    1 container (8oz) Frozen whipped topping, thawed
    4 packages frozen mini fillo dough shells
    Raspberries, if desired
    1. Bear milk and lime juice in a large bowl on medium speed until smooth and thickened. Fold in whipped topping.
    2. Spoon heaping teaspoonful lime mixture into each fillo shell. Cover and refrigerate tarts at least 1 hour or until set but not longer than 24 hours. Garnish with raspberries. 60 Tarts
    I made this Rum Cake from Southern Living yesterday for a Christmas Party, not one crumb left:
    Rum Cake:
    1 1/2 cups butter, softened
    1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    3 large eggs
    1 egg yolk
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
    1/2 cup dark rum
    1/4 cup banana liqueur*
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 cup whipping cream
    Rum Syrup
    Powdered sugar

Beat butter and granulated sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla, beating until blended. Add lemon rind, beating until blended. Gradually add rum and banana liqueur, beating until blended. (Batter will look curdled.)
    Stir together flour and next 3 ingredients; add to batter alternately with whipping cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat batter at low speed just until blended after each addition. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch Bundt pan.

Bake at 350° for 55 to 60 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.

Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Pierce cake multiple times using a metal or wooden skewer. Pour Rum Syrup evenly over cake. Let stand 45 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on a wire rack. Sprinkle evenly with powdered sugar before serving.

*1/4 cup dark rum may be substituted.

Rum Syrup:
    10 tablespoon butter
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup dark rum
    1/4 cup banana liqueur*

Melt butter in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat; stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring often; reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring often, 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat, and cool 10 minutes
    I used all rum for the cake and syrup.

• claudiafromkraftkitc
    17 years ago

Here's a great trifle-like dessert. It's so easy to make and looks really festive.

Holiday Brownie Berry Bowl

1 cup boiling water
    1 pkg. (4-serving size) Jell-o Brand Raspberry Flavor Gelatin
    2 cups ice cubes
    1 baked 9-inch square brownie layer, cooled, cut into 1-inch cubes (5-1/2 cups)
    3 cups cold milk
    2 pkg. (4-serving size each) Jell-o Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
    1 pt. (2 cups) raspberries
    1 cup thawed Cool Whip Whipped Topping

STIR boiling water into dry gelatin mix in medium bowl at least 2 min. until completely dissolved. Add ice; stir until gelatin is slightly thickened. Remove any unmelted ice.
    PLACE brownie cubes in 2-1/2-qt. serving bowl; cover with gelatin. Refrigerate 45 min. or until gelatin is set but not firm (gelatin should stick to finger when touched).
    POUR milk into separate medium bowl. Add dry pudding mixes. Beat with wire whisk 2 min. or until well blended; spoon over ingredients in serving bowl. Top with layers of raspberries and the whipped topping. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or until ready to serve. Store leftover dessert in refrigerator.

• sharon_fl
    17 years ago

This is a very plain,simple and delicious dessert that makes you feel like you are having a 'party in your mouth'! My family always requested this at Holdiay time.

COTTAGE PUDDING
    I yellow cake mix
    Vanilla ice cream
    Nutmeg sauce*

Bake cake per directions. Make nutmeg sauce* and heat till very warm, at serving time.

To serve: Cut a square of cake and cut in half crossways. Place bottom half in a bowl or on dessert plate. Ladle some ice cream onto the cake (not a round scoop-more a flattened wedge) & top with other half of cake (cut side up). Ladle warm nutmeg sauce over the dessert. YUM-O!

Vanilla, Lemon or Nutmeg Sauce
    Mix together in pan: 1 cup sugar & 2 tbsp. cornstarch.
    Gradually stir in 2 c. boiling water; boil 1 minute.
    Stir in 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, 2 tsp. vanilla, OR 2 tsp. lemon juice with 1 tbsp. grated lemon rind OR 2 tsp. nutmeg.