Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annnorthtexas

RECIPE: cookie recipes that make 2 dozen

annnorthtexas
18 years ago

I love having a variety of cookies at the holidays but have gotten away from much baking. We just don't need all the calories from recipes that make 4 or 5 or even 6 dozen cookies. So I thought about smaller batches but my recipes would be tough to cut down. Does anyone have any recipes that make 2 dozen or less cookies? My kids will appreciate it.

Comments (6)

• triciae
    18 years ago

I solve that problem by making GIANT size cookies...then, instead of having 5...I just have one! Works for me. :0)

• roselin32
    18 years ago

My objection to Martha Stewart's Cookies magazine this month is that the recipes only make 2 or 3 dozen. What kind are you looking for??

• HanArt
    18 years ago

Ann, I love your gardening philosophy! A small lawn is good for playing bocce or croquet, but other than that it's a waste of space.

I only made one type cookie this season, but it fits your request. They're melt-in-your-mouth delicious!

Toffee Butter Cookies

Cindy...These are my favorite!
    (This came from the Land O Lakes butter package.)

1 cup sugar
    3/4 cup salted butter
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 cup English toffee bits

Combine sugar, butter, egg and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy (1 to 2 minutes). Add flour, baking powder and soda; reduce speed to low until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes).

Stir in toffee bits by hand. Shape into 1-inch balls, roll in sugar, place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten each with bottom of glass to 2-inch circles. (If glass sticks, dip in sugar.)

Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes until edges are light golden. Do not over bake. Cool 1 minute before removing from cookie sheet. Cool completely on rack.

~Marilyn

Cindy's Notes: I use unsalted butter and add 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Also increase the toffee bits to 3/4 cup. And, it's probably my mixer, but I find it easier to stir the flour in.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• roselin32
    18 years ago

These are small like the Mexican Wedding Cookies but they are excellent and 4 dozen don't go very far:
    Browned Butter Cardamom Cookies
    1c butter
    3/4 c sugar
    1 egg yolk
    1/2-3/4 tsp ground cardamom
    1T vanilla
    2c all purpose flour
    1-2T milk if nec. to hold together)
    1c powdered sugar for rolling/ dusting
    Melt butter and cook just till it starts to brown. Cool for 30 minutes.
    Preheat oven to 350. Combine butter and sugar till well mixed. Add egg yolk, vanilla, and cardamom.
    Continue beating till all is well mixed, then mix in flour on low till mixture form a dough adding milk if
    necessary.
    Shape into 1" balls and place 1" apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10~12 minutes until cookies start
    to turn a golden brown. (Cookies will have cracks in them). Remove to rack and dust with powdered sugar while
    warm and again when cool. Store between sheets of waxed paper in loosely covered container.
    Yield 4 dozen cookies.
    From Land o'Lakes
    RL~

• annnorthtexas
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks! We're not picky on what kind. Maybe I should get the Martha Stewart's Cookies magazine this month.

• jenn
    18 years ago

You could always give away the rest of them to the neighbors, family and friends....... that's our tradition every year. Who doesn't love to receive homemade cookies! :-)

Or, freeze the extras, or bake 2 dozen and then freeze the remaining dough. I made a lot of dough this year but got around to baking only part of some of it, so I'm freezing it all to save for another day when I feel like homemade cookies but don't have the time to mix the dough.

You could save the dough in small portions to cut and bake a dozen or so whenever you want them.

Jen

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County