Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

LOOKING for: Carrot pound cake

The local ethnic groceries carry a loaf form carrot cake that they call carrot pound cake. The consistency is much more like banana bread than pound cake. Not the smooth texture that I associate with pound cake. I love this stuff: my favorite breakfast, spread with whipped cream cheese. There are walnuts and raisins in it, too, and it is dark colored, moist, rich, but not too heavy. Denser than usual homemade carrot cake. It might be intended as a dessert, but since I saw it in loaf form, I have been interpreting it as "breakfast," as I would banana bread. It's not made in-house, but by a bakery in Chicago that makes ethnic east European breads and pastries.

But the price has been going up and up. When I saw last time that it was now priced at $5 a loaf, I sadly put it back. Anyone have a recipe that might be similar? I have carrot muffin recipes, but none are similar in taste or texture. Thanks!

Comments (2)

• lindac
    12 years ago

I make a carrot cake that has half the amount of oil that other carrot cakes have. It also contains crushed pineapple though. You could sub the drained pineapple for an equal amount of chopped apples, or thick applesauce. I'll paste thew hole recipe here....but you can leave off the glaze and the frosting for breakfast...or not.;-)

Carrot cake Julie T�s
    3 eggs
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    3/4 cup buttermilk
    2 cups sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    2 tsps cinnamon
    1 8 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
    2 cups grated carrots
    1/2 cup raisins chopped with 1 Tablespoon of flour
    Buttermilk glaze
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1/4 cup buttermilk
    1/4 cup butter
    1 Tblsp light corn syrup
    1 tsp vanilla
    Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
    1/2 cup softened butter
    4 oz softened cream cheese
    1 tsp vanilla
    3 cups powdered sugar
    1 tsp orange juice
    1 tsp grated orange rind
    Preheat oven to 350
    With a mixer Beat eggs, add oil and buttermilk, sugar and vanilla. beat to combine. Stir together flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda and stir into batter. stir in pineapple, carrots and raisins.
    Pour into a greased 8 by 13 pan or 2 greased round 9 inch cake pans. Bake 35 to 45 minutes until set in the middle. Remove from the oven and immediatly spread with the buttermilk glaze. Cool completely and frost with the cream cheese frosting.
    Buttermilk glaze:
    In a medium sauce pan ( don't use a small pan) combine all ingredients but vanilla. Bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes stirring often...it will bubble a lot. It should be a light caramel color, stir in vanilla and pour over the cake
    Cream cheese frosting:
    Beat cream cheese and butter until light add vanilla powd. sugar and juice and rind...beat until smooth and frost the cooled cake.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Linda.

I do love carrot cake, but I'm hoping to find something more similar to banana bread in texture. I don't want to make a habit of eating cake for breakfast, :) with or without glaze (though in truth a lot of muffins might as well be cake). Perhaps a carrot muffin recipe, or carrot quickbread, might be closer to the mark, than describing it as "carrot pound cake," even if that is what is on the label. I have a carrot "Glorious Morning" muffin recipe, but it has grated apple and coconut in it, and I don't think the loaf I am trying to copy has either of those.

It looks like this forum is not nearly as active as the regular cooking forum. I see there are a lot of questions going with few or no answers. I am going to repost this on the Cooking forum. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals