Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Pumpkin Dump Cake

Posted by LucyIL (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 3, 05 at 12:24

This was found in a flyer that comes in our newspaper and I posted it at another forum and the ones that made it gave it rave reviews! One friend that made it suggested pushing the pecans down a bit because the first time she made it they got a little burnt being on top.

Pumpkin Dump Cake - Cindy Gissy, Vienna, W. Va.

1 29-ounce can pure pumpkin
112-ounce can evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup melted margarine
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix first six ingredients until well blended, and pour batter into a 9-by-13-inch greased pan. Sprinkle cake mix on top, and then cover with pecans. Pour melted margarine over top. Bake 50 minutes.

Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Top with whipped cream.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Pumpkin Dump Cake

"Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Top with whipped cream." Naturally! Thanks for posting it. Sounds good.

o

Lucy, another way to do it so that the pecans and butter don't burn would be to place them in the bottom of the pan like this one:

Pumpkin Praline Cake

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup chopped pecans
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable or canola oil
4 eggs
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin
Whipped cream for garnish

Heat oven to 325. Heat brown sugar, butter and cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted. Pour into an ungreased 9X13X2-inch baking pan (use clear, not dark). Sprinkle with pecans.

Mix flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices; set aside. Beat sugar, oil, eggs and pumpkin in a large bowl for one minute. Gradually beat in flour mixture on medium speed for 2 minutes. Carefully spoon batter over pecan mixture in pan.

Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Place heatproof serving tray upside down on pan; turn tray and pan over. Let pan remain over cake for about 5 minutes before removing. Cool completely.

*Recipe from Gold Medal "Cakes and Pies"

Marilyn

o

Oh that sounds so good!!! I haven't even tried the Dump Cake yet though. My youngest son and I are the only 2 that eat pumpkin and I asked him if I made it would he help me eat it. He said "NO! I want a real pumpkin pie!" Oh well. I am on the low-carb. diet and if I make it I will eat at least 3/4 of it so it's a no go. I may make one of these for Christmas and then I can send it home with DH's grandmother and aunt and uncle. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here