Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginger_st_thomas

RECIPE: Two great tart recipes

ginger_st_thomas
20 years ago

For this one & the one below I made the tart shells (unbaked)the day before & froze them.

BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE TART

6 TBL butter, softened

1/2 cup sugar

1/8 tsp salt

3/4 tsp vanilla

1/4 cup + 3 TBL Dutch processed cocoa

3/4 cup flour

10 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped (used Calledbaut since it's cheaper here than regular Baker's, etc. & it's good)

1 1/4 cups whipping cream

Combine butter & sugar in food processor. Add salt, vanilla & cocoa. Process 1 minute. Add flour. Processuntil just blended. Between 2 sheets of waxed paper, roll out mixture into an 11" disk. Refrigerate several hours. (I think this is unnecessary. Would be better to just press into the springform pan.) Press into a 10" springform pan & prick bottom of shell with a fork. Bake in a preheated 375° oven for 5 minutes or until pastry is dry. Cool.

Heat chocolate & whipping cream over low heat until smooth. Pour chocolate cream mixture through a wire-meshed strainer into cooled tart shell. Refrigerate at leat 3 hours.

To serve: lay a stencil over the center of tart. Using a fine strainer, sift remaining cocoa over top. (I used powdered sugar because the cocoa wouldn't show against the dark chocolate.) Left off stencil to reveal chocolate pattern. Unmold & remove from pan.~~

The lemon curd tart below is really the best I've ever made. I didn't put the curd over the tart shell until I was ready to serve so the crust stayed crisp. However, the one piece left over this AM was still really good. It's not difficult to make, either.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemon Curd Tart

Comments (6)

• ann_t
    20 years ago

Thanks Ginger, You can never have to many recipes with Chocolate in them and this one sounds good.

The Lemon Curd Tart is very similar to the recipe that I posted recently for Shortbread Tarts with Lemon Filling. The combination of the shortbread crust with the tart lemon filling is wonderful.

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

{{gwi:1496146}}
    ===================================
    Source: Appeal Magazine

Shortbread crust

1 cup butter softened
    1/2 cup icing sugar
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 Tablespoon Cornstarch

Filling

1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
    1 Tablespoon grated lemon zest
    1 cup granulated sugar
    3 eggs well beaten
    1/2 cups butter at room temperature
    . Preheat oven to 325°F. Combine shortbread ingredients in the bowl of an
    electric mixer. Mix to form dough. Divide dough into 24 pieces. Pat each
    portion of dough into a 1 1/2" (4 cm) tart tin, using your fingers to shape
    it into a shell. Prick the bottom of each tart with a fork. Bake 10
    minutes and then prick bottoms again as the shells puff up. Bake an
    additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow tarts to cool on a wire
    rack before filling.

To prepare lemon filling, combine juice and zest in a double boiler. Whisk
    in sugar, eggs and butter, blending well. Place over gently boiling water
    and whisk constantly until mixture thickens. Cool before using to fill tart
    shells. Lemon filling can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the
    refrigerator.

(Note: I did not cook using a double boiler. I added the juice, zest,
    sugar and butter to the pot and brought to a boil. Then I beat the eggs
    and added some of the hot mixture to the eggs to temper before adding this
    egg mixture to the pan. I continued to stir over low heat until the mixture
    thickened.)

• roselin32
    20 years ago

They sound good, Ginger-think I would like to have your Lemon Curd one please.
    Thanx.
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

It's at the link above, Roselin. By the way, I forgot to get Dutch process cocoa & used Hershey's & it worked fine for the truffle tart.

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Got it, Ginger-thanks.
    RL`

• browntoestoo
    20 years ago

Oooh! Ann! Your lemon shortbrad tarts are TO DIE FOR! How ever did I live so long without this utterly divine recipe! Absolutely fabulous! Why, oh why have you been keeping this from me? I just can't get ENOUGH of that lemon curd filling! I want to LICK the bowl!

• ann_t
    20 years ago

ROTFL!!!! You're so welcome Eileen. I'm glad that you enjoyed them so much. I have to agree with you too. They really are good. I had a bit of lemon curd left after filling all the tarts. Although I didn't lick the bowl I did finish what was left with a spoon. LOL

Ann

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms