Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nursekimmi

LOOKING for: A good moist scratch Yellow cake recipe

kimmid
14 years ago

I cannot seem to find one we like. Well my husband likes, i personally dont care for yellow cake but he LOVES it. He loves pound cake and that is what i usually make but sometimes.. it is just too heavy. Not the actual cake, but the type. LOL So if you have a good scratch cake that is moist and medium range dense, please post.

Comments (4)

• User
    14 years ago

I've tried a bunch of them, and can not find one that is not dry and heavy. I don't know what the secret is, maybe more eggs? The best ones seem to come from a box.

I love yellow cake and my SIL wanted one for his last birthday. I made this one from Cooks Illustrated, and was, again, disappointed and I didn't have any eggs left.

Fluffy Yellow Layer Cake

Makes two 9-inch cake layers. Published March 1, 2008. From Cook's Illustrated.

Nonstick cooking spray can be used for greasing the pans (proceed with flouring as directed). Bring all ingredients to room temperature before beginning. Frost the cake with our Foolproof Chocolate Frosting (see related recipe) or your favorite topping.

Ingredients
    2 1/2 cups cake flour , plus extra for dusting pans
    1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    3/4 teaspoon table salt
    1 3/4 cups sugar (12 1/4 ounces)
    10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter , melted and cooled slightly
    1 cup buttermilk , room temperature
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    6 large egg yolks , room temperature
    3 large egg whites , room temperature
    Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9-inch-wide by 2-inch-high round cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper. Grease paper rounds, dust pans with flour, and knock out excess. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1 1/2 cups sugar together in large bowl. In 4-cup liquid measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together melted butter, buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and yolks.
    2. In clean bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat egg whites at medium-high speed until foamy, about 30 seconds. With machine running, gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar; continue to beat until stiff peaks just form, 30 to 60 seconds (whites should hold peak but mixture should appear moist). Transfer to bowl and set aside.
    3. Add flour mixture to now-empty mixing bowl fitted with whisk attachment. With mixer running at low speed, gradually pour in butter mixture and mix until almost incorporated (a few streaks of dry flour will remain), about 15 seconds. Stop mixer and scrape whisk and sides of bowl. Return mixer to medium-low speed and beat until smooth and fully incorporated, 10 to 15 seconds.
    4. Using rubber spatula, stir 1/3 of whites into batter to lighten, then add remaining whites and gently fold into batter until no white streaks remain. Divide batter evenly between prepared cake pans. Lightly tap pans against counter 2 or 3 times to dislodge any large air bubbles.
    5. Bake until cake layers begin to pull away from sides of pans and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen cakes from sides of pans with small knife, then invert onto greased wire rack and peel off parchment. Invert cakes again and cool completely on rack, about 1...
  • jemoiselle
    14 years ago

I can be of assistance, I believe! I too went on my quest for the perfect yellow scratch cake recipe, and believe I have found my mecca. It is from wilton, and you can find it on their site at the link posted below.

I think the most important factor at play is baking temp and time, and proper measuring of flour and fat. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: WIlton's Butter Cake Recipe

• bobanda
    14 years ago

I couldn't find one for the longest time - hubby loves yellow cake, pound cake especially. We just used box cake until we got to the point that we couldn't stand the taste of the preservatives. Now I am using and am reasonably happy with the spice cake recipe from the better homes and gardens cookbook, just minus the spice. I will post again with it when I am at home unless you reply stating that you have it.

• bobanda
    14 years ago

Back with the recipe - hope this doesn't disappoint!

Basic Yellow Cake

2 c. all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 c. butter, soft
    1/4 c. shortening
    1 1/2 c. sugar
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
    2 eggs
    1 1/4 c. buttermilk
    * Preheat oven to 350F.

1. Cream butter, shortening and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well in between and vanilla.
    2. Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl. Add to butter mixture gradually, mixing after each addition and alternating with buttermilk, beating on low speed.
    3. Pour into greased/floured pan(s), either two 8-inch rounds or a 9x13 rectangular.
    4. Bake for 30-35 minutes for two pans or 35-40 minutes for rectangle.
    5. Cool thoroughly on wire rack.