Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Pot d'Creme

Posted by AnnaLeeF (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 23, 05 at 10:44

We have lost out family recipe for Pot d'Creme and need to make it for Christmas dinner. Anyone have a favorite version? I typed this in on Cooking forum, but apparently it did not post.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Pot d'Creme

Anna, I know this too late (I haven't been on lately) and I hope you found a recipe. I made the following once and it is awesome. If you don't like coffe, you can leave that step out.

Mocha Pot De Crme

Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence and JoAnn Cianciulli
Recipe Summary

Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
3 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup whole black coffee beans
6 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons brewed espresso coffee, cold
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled

Pour the heavy cream, vanilla and coffee beans into a saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Bring the cream to a brief simmer; do not boil or it will overflow within seconds. Remove from heat and strain to remove the beans.
In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is lemon-colored, about 3 minutes. Temper the yolks by gradually whisking the hot cream into the yolk and sugar mixture (do not add the hot cream too quickly or the eggs will cook.) Stir in the brewed coffee and melted chocolate.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Pour the egg-cream mixture into 6 (8-ounce) ramekins or cappuccino cups, filling 3/4 of the way full with mixture. Fill a large, shallow baking pan with 1/2-inch of warm water. Carefully place the ramekins in the water bath and bake for about 35 minutes, the center should jiggle slightly. Remove the pan from the oven and let the ramekins cool in the water for 10 minutes. Then pop them in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours.

Marilyn

o

I haven't made these for years. Sorry I'm late:
POTS DE CREME AU CHOCOLAT (serves 4)
2 cups cream
4 oz sweet chocolate, melted
3 egg yolks

Preheat oven to 325. Heat the cream in a double boiler over boiling water. Add the chocolate & stir until the mixture is blended.
Beat the yolks & pour the hot cream over them, a little at a time, stirring vigorously. Pour the mixture into creme pots or individual heatproof dishes. Place the pots in a pan of hot water about 1" deep. Bake until a knife inserted in teh center comes out clean, or about 15 minutes. Chill~~ Craig Claiborne

(I wonder what happened to my little pots de creme cups?)

o

Wow, this sounds wonderful and deadly! I bet I could eat at least a couple of servings by myself!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here