Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sawmill

LOOKING for: Pot d'Creme

sawmill
18 years ago

We have lost out family recipe for Pot d'Creme and need to make it for Christmas dinner. Anyone have a favorite version? I typed this in on Cooking forum, but apparently it did not post.

Comments (3)

• danain
    18 years ago

Anna, I know this too late (I haven't been on lately) and I hope you found a recipe. I made the following once and it is awesome. If you don't like coffe, you can leave that step out.

Mocha Pot De Crème

Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence and JoAnn Cianciulli
    Recipe Summary

Prep Time: 25 minutes
    Cook Time: 40 minutes
    Inactive Prep Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
    Yield: 6 servings
    3 cups heavy cream
    1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1/4 cup whole black coffee beans
    6 large egg yolks
    1/2 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons brewed espresso coffee, cold
    2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled

Pour the heavy cream, vanilla and coffee beans into a saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Bring the cream to a brief simmer; do not boil or it will overflow within seconds. Remove from heat and strain to remove the beans.
    In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is lemon-colored, about 3 minutes. Temper the yolks by gradually whisking the hot cream into the yolk and sugar mixture (do not add the hot cream too quickly or the eggs will cook.) Stir in the brewed coffee and melted chocolate.
    Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
    Pour the egg-cream mixture into 6 (8-ounce) ramekins or cappuccino cups, filling 3/4 of the way full with mixture. Fill a large, shallow baking pan with 1/2-inch of warm water. Carefully place the ramekins in the water bath and bake for about 35 minutes, the center should jiggle slightly. Remove the pan from the oven and let the ramekins cool in the water for 10 minutes. Then pop them in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours.

Marilyn

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

I haven't made these for years. Sorry I'm late:
    POTS DE CREME AU CHOCOLAT (serves 4)
    2 cups cream
    4 oz sweet chocolate, melted
    3 egg yolks

Preheat oven to 325°. Heat the cream in a double boiler over boiling water. Add the chocolate & stir until the mixture is blended.
    Beat the yolks & pour the hot cream over them, a little at a time, stirring vigorously. Pour the mixture into creme pots or individual heatproof dishes. Place the pots in a pan of hot water about 1" deep. Bake until a knife inserted in teh center comes out clean, or about 15 minutes. Chill~~ Craig Claiborne

(I wonder what happened to my little pots de creme cups?)

• Cinderella
    18 years ago

Wow, this sounds wonderful and deadly! I bet I could eat at least a couple of servings by myself!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!