Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Bread Pudding Recipe for Forestelves

Posted by ginger_st_thomas (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 19, 09 at 9:56

I couldn't open your post (got that Whoops! message) but here's my favorite bread pudding recipe. It's not difficult & is really tasty.

LEMON BREAD PUDDING (serves 12)
Lemon Curd
3 eggs + 1 yolk
1 cup sugar
Finely grated zest of 2 large lemons
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 stick unsalted butter in 1" pieces

In the top of a double boiler beat the eggs, yolk & sugar to mix. Stir in the zest & juice. Add the butter. Place over hot water on moderate heat. Cook uncovered, stirring & scraping the pan frequently with a rubber spatula for 15-20 minutes until the mixture is as thick as mayonnaise. It will register 180 on a sugar thermometer. Remove the otp of double boiler & set aside to cool, stirring occasionally. Will keep, refrigerated for several weeks.

Bread Pudding
One 8-10 oz loaf French bread
10 large eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 qt milk (I use half & half)
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Lemon curd

Butter a shallow oblong 3 qt baking dish (13x8 or 9x2") & set aside. Preheat oven to 350. Slice the bread 1/2" thick. Place slices on cookie sheet & bake 10-15 minutes until dry but not brown. Turn slices over when half done. Set aside.

In a large bowl beat the eggs & 1 cup of the sugar (reserve other 1/4 cup.) Beat in the milk, salt & vanilla. Set aside. In the bottom of the baking dish place a layer of the bread slices touching each other. If necessary, break a few slices to fill in spaces. Spread 1/2 of cooled lemon curd over bread. Make a 2nd layer of bread slices, these slices at right angles to the first slices. Break off a few slices to fill in if necessary. Spread remaining curd over the top.

Ladle egg & milk mixture slowly all over the top. Let stand at room temp. for 1 hour. Put rack in center of preheated oven. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup sugar over top of pudding. Place baking dish in a large shallow baking pan, place in oven & pour hot water into outside pan to about 1/2 the depth of the baking dish. Bake about 45 minutes until top is puffed & just barely colored. Tap the side of the baking dish & when the middle moves only slightly, it's done. Serve hot or at room temp. Serve w/raspberry sauce: puree a bag of frozen raspberries, strain out seeds & sweeten to taste.~~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Bread Pudding Recipe for Forestelves

Here's one I made on Thursday, everyone liked it. I added the vanilla sauce on top.

Eggnog Bread Pudding Serves 8.

1 loaf stale French bread ----- betting cinnamon raisin bread would do great (it does!)
1 quart eggnog
3 eggs
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup sugar

1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9x13x2-inch pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, crumble the bread and pour the eggnog over it, letting it sit until bread is soft, at least 20 minutes and even overnight.
3. In a smaller bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla and stir into the bread and eggnog mixture. Add the raisins and mix well.
4. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until knife comes out clean. Let cool before cutting.
5. Serve with a little whipped cream, or powdered sugar on top if desired.

Vanilla Sauce Recipe (1 CUP)
This sauce is perfect with the Bread Pudding
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 pinch salt

1.Bring water to boil in a small sauce pan.
2.Combine sugar and cornstarch.
3.Stir well.
4.Add sugar mixture to boiling water.
5.Reduce heat to medium, stirring constantly or until mixture thickens.
6.Remove from heat.
7.Add butter, vanilla, and salt.
8.Stir until butter melts.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o

I usually use whatever bread needs using up; if it's raisin bread or pannetone all the better. Butter a baking dish and fill with buttered slices of bread. Even better if you spread the buttered bread with a little marmalade. If the bread is plain, you can strew some white raisins between the layers, but not on top as they scorch and are unpleasant. Pour a mixture in the porportions of a pint of milk, three eggs and two tablespoons of sugar over the bread to cover. Let it stand to soak in for about half an hour. Bake in a 350F oven until puffed and golden. about 30-40 minutes.

o

The best bread pudding I've had in a while is the White Chocolate Bread Pudding from the Palace Cafe in New Orleans. They have the recipe posted online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Palace Cafe Recipes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here