Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginger_st_thomas

RECIPE: Bread Pudding Recipe for Forestelves

ginger_st_thomas
14 years ago

I couldn't open your post (got that Whoops! message) but here's my favorite bread pudding recipe. It's not difficult & is really tasty.

LEMON BREAD PUDDING (serves 12)

Lemon Curd

3 eggs + 1 yolk

1 cup sugar

Finely grated zest of 2 large lemons

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

1 stick unsalted butter in 1" pieces

In the top of a double boiler beat the eggs, yolk & sugar to mix. Stir in the zest & juice. Add the butter. Place over hot water on moderate heat. Cook uncovered, stirring & scraping the pan frequently with a rubber spatula for 15-20 minutes until the mixture is as thick as mayonnaise. It will register 180° on a sugar thermometer. Remove the otp of double boiler & set aside to cool, stirring occasionally. Will keep, refrigerated for several weeks.

Bread Pudding

One 8-10 oz loaf French bread

10 large eggs

1 1/4 cups sugar

1 qt milk (I use half & half)

1/4 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Lemon curd

Butter a shallow oblong 3 qt baking dish (13x8 or 9x2") & set aside. Preheat oven to 350°. Slice the bread 1/2" thick. Place slices on cookie sheet & bake 10-15 minutes until dry but not brown. Turn slices over when half done. Set aside.

In a large bowl beat the eggs & 1 cup of the sugar (reserve other 1/4 cup.) Beat in the milk, salt & vanilla. Set aside. In the bottom of the baking dish place a layer of the bread slices touching each other. If necessary, break a few slices to fill in spaces. Spread 1/2 of cooled lemon curd over bread. Make a 2nd layer of bread slices, these slices at right angles to the first slices. Break off a few slices to fill in if necessary. Spread remaining curd over the top.

Ladle egg & milk mixture slowly all over the top. Let stand at room temp. for 1 hour. Put rack in center of preheated oven. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup sugar over top of pudding. Place baking dish in a large shallow baking pan, place in oven & pour hot water into outside pan to about 1/2 the depth of the baking dish. Bake about 45 minutes until top is puffed & just barely colored. Tap the side of the baking dish & when the middle moves only slightly, it's done. Serve hot or at room temp. Serve w/raspberry sauce: puree a bag of frozen raspberries, strain out seeds & sweeten to taste.~~

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz