Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momto4kids_gw

LOOKING for: Help w/Chocolate-Covered Espresso Brittle

momto4kids
17 years ago

I made some espresso brittle that I want to cover with chocolate.

1. Do you think semi-sweet is the right chocolate?

2. Should I add shortening when I melt the chocolate? Or just melt the chocolate?

3. I'd like the chocolate to be reasonably thick...not a thin coating. Should I dip, harden, then dip again? Or do you think one dip will suffice?

I plan to add a few salt crystals (2 or 3) to the tops.

Thank you.

Comments (2)

• khandi
    17 years ago

Wow! This sounds good! Can I please have the recipe? In my opinion, semi-sweet chocolate should taste fine. I like my chocolate a little dark. You have some sweetness with the brittle. But then again, milk chocolate would be good too! LOL Why not try a little bit with both chocolates to see which you prefer - sort of like a taster. Every morning, I drink my coffee with Carnation Hot Chocolate Mix instead of cream and sugar - so this brittle sounds awesome!

The following is information on chocolate dipping that is in one of my old (1952) cookbooks. Hope it helps!

Chocolate Dipping

Chocolate dipping is a difficult process. Proper equipment and ingredients must be available. For success, follow directions.

1. Temperature is important. Keep room between 60 and 70 degrees F. Never dip on a warm or humid day and avoid all drafts.

2. Arrange all equipment conveniently. Have centers ready and at room temperature. Cover wire racks with waxed paper. Place these to right of dipping pan. Have ready a good, tested candy thermometer, a 1ý quart double boiler and a dipping fork.

3. Use special dipping chocolate and grate fine. Melt grated chocolate over hot water in top of double boiler. Melt slowly, stir constantly but never let water boil. Do not melt less than 1 pound or more than 2 pounds of chocolate at one time. When completely melted, immerse bulb of thermometer in chocolate. Continue stirring until chocolate has reached 130 degrees F.

4. Cool quickly by emptying hot water from bottom of double boiler and refilling with cold water. Stir constantly and rapidly, using circular motion, until chocolate has cooled to 83 degrees F.

5. To keep chocolate at this temperature, add hot water to bottom of boiler until water is 85 degrees F. Quickly replace chocolate.

6. Chocolate is now ready for dipping but must always be stirred between each dip. Drop center in chocolate and cover well. Lift out with fork, tap on rim of saucer to remove excess chocolate and draw fork carefully across rim. Invest piece on waxed paper, remove fork and form string across top with chocolate that is still on fork. Work fast. If necessary, repeat steps 3, 4, 5.

• momto4kids
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Khandi! Here are the results!

I was trying to create a piece of candy juxtaposing salt and chocolate. I just had a craving for it. I felt the chocolate had to be something more than *just* chocolate, so, I made an espresso brittle (after reading all the posts about brittle!). I wanted to cover it in chocolate, but didn't feel like taking the time to dip, set, and possibly dip again. so I found some candy molds, filled them 1/2-way with semi-sweet chocolate (Ghirardelli), place a piece of brittle in the mold, then filled with chocolate. After the chocolate set and I popped the candies out, I swirled chocolate over top and dropped a few flakes of sea salt. Here's the result:

{{gwi:1497738}}

I think it tastes good. I couldn't quite find the size molds I was looking for...I wanted more of a wafer, and smaller pieces. I think there was a touch too much chocolate this time. I think next time I will take the time to dip, set, maybe dip again. That way I can control the size and amount of chocolate. I might also try milk chocolate. I did love the taste of the semi-sweet chocolate and salt. I could've taken more salt...but I know no one else would have liked that!

Just in case someone wants it, here's what I did:

Deb's Chocolate-Covered Espresso Brittle

Brittle:
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup water
    2 Tablespoons espresso beans, crushed
    2 Tablespoons butter
    One dash salt

Preparation:

Line cookie sheet with parchment or wax paper. Spray paper with cooking spray.

Combine sugar and water. Heat over high heat until color is light amber. Add crushed espresso beans. Continue until color is brown. Remove pan from heat. Stir in butter and salt. Immediately pour brittle onto prepared cookie sheet. Use metal spoon/spatula to spread layer thin. Let cool.

Chocolate:

4-6 oz chocolate (milk or semi-sweet)

Melt chocolate in double boiler.

Break brittle into small, bite-sized pieces. Dip into chocolate. Place onto wax paper and let set. Dip again for thicker coating of chocolate. Drizzle chocolate on top of candy, one at a time, and drop a few flakes of sea salt on top.

Alternate: Fill thin candy mold halfway. Press small piece of brittle into mold. Fill mold the rest of the way. Put in refrigerator for a few minutes (until chocolate no longer looks "wet' when looking through mold). Pop candies out onto wax paper. Drizzle tops with chocolate, one at a time, adding a few flakes of sea salt.

Sponsored