Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: My Grandmother's Fudge

Posted by khandi (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 15, 06 at 7:48

This is my grandmother's (92 yrs) fudge recipe. I remember her making this, when I was little, every time she came over to our house. She'd be standing by the stove beating the fudge for quite a while.

Bring to a boil:

4 cups brown sugar
1 cup Carnation whole evaporated milk (NOT 2%)

Add: 4 Tablespoons butter

Lower temperature and cook, stirring, until it reaches 235 degrees on candy thermometer.

Remove from heat and add:

2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Chopped pecans

Beat until it start to set. Pour into buttered 9-inch pan. The beating could take up to 10 minutes. Pour into pan as soon as it starts to set.

If cooked too fast or too long, it will be too sugary. According to my grandmother, it should be smooth.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: My Grandmother's Fudge

My grandmother also made fudge like that.
I think the recipe should be amended to read "beat until your arm falls off"!..LOL!...I can't seem to beat it with that wooden spoon as long as Grandma.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here