Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: No-cook coconut candy (1979 magazine?)

Posted by kim0201 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 2, 06 at 0:40

I remember making a coconut candy in about 1979. I don't remember the specifics but thought it might have been a recipe from a magazine ad calling for sweetened coconut with sweetened condensed milk and rolled into balls. A small indent was made in the top (similar to a thumb print cookie) and the indentation was filled w/ melted chocolate. I seem to remember the chocolate may have been unsweetened and the flavor contrast was terrific.

I don't remember any other ingredients. There was no cooking. It reminded me of Mounds candy bar rather than a macaroon.

I wrote to two magazines (Sunset & BHG) asking if the recipe might be in their collection. Neither magazine remembered the recipe which is why I think it might have been from an ad.

Can anyone remember this one? Would like to try it again this holiday season. Thank you so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: No-cook coconut candy (1979 magazine?)

This must be close (see link) -- it sounds like what you're describing except they dip the balls into the chocolate instead of putting it into an indentation.

Good luck -- sounds yummy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Coconut bon-bons

o
RE: LOOKING for: No-cook coconut candy (1979 magazine?)

Thank you Carol Ann for the message. The recipe does sound similar altho' I still seem to remember the chocolate being unsweetened as strange as that may seem. I may try these too. I love coconut!! Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here