Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjlpn

LOOKING for: share your favorite Thanksgiving recipe

cjlpn
15 years ago

Looking for new recipe for Thanksgiving. What's your favorite recipe to make.

Comments (4)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Not strictly a dessert but as good as one. I think it came from Williams-Sonoma & is the best I've had:

GINGER-PEAR CRANBERRY SAUCE

1 firm ripe pear
    juice from 1/2 lemon
    3 Cups fresh cranberries (1 bag)
    1 Cup sugar
    2/3 Cup water
    1/4 Cup crystallized ginger (NOT candied)
    1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

Peel, quarter, core, chop the pear.

Place in saucepan with lemon juice, stir well.

Sort berries (rinse in a colander and toss out the lousy looking ones and any stems). Add to pear along with sugar, water, cinnamon, and ginger. Boil, reduce to simmer, cover partially and simmer gently till pear is tender and cranberries burst.

Cool, then refrigerate.~~

• cjlpn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That sounds good. Maybe I'll try it. Thanks

• beachlily z9a
    15 years ago

Ginger, that sounds good. I printed off a number of recipes for cranberry sauce from the cooking forum, but I'm going to make yours. Just need something different this year.

• beachlily z9a
    15 years ago

Well, another great Thanksgiving recipe is from the Better Homes & Garden, 1976 (I threw away a 1972 version and regretted it. My husband replaced it with a 1976 version from ebay, and I inserted my older pages in it) So I don't know how old this recipe is ..... but it is great!

CORNBREAD STUFFING (oven 350°)

In a skillet, cook 1/2 lb. bacon (8 to 10 slices) till crisp; drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings. Crumble bacon; set aside. To skillet, add 1 cup chopped celery, 1/4 cup chopped onion, and 1/2 cup water. Cover; cook till barely tender, about 7 minutes.

Combine bacon, reserved drippings, vegetable mixture, 3 cups coarse corn bread crumbs; 6 slices toasted bread, cubed, 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage, and 1 cup chicken or turkey broth; toss well. Bake, covered, in a 1 1/2 qt. casserole at 350° for 30 minutes. Makes 6 servings, or enough stuffing for an 8 lb. turkey.

I made this for wonderful Canadian friends. Had to print out the recipe and send it home with them (along with a recipe for cornbread). They will be back here at my home for their second Thanksgiving this year. Cheaters! I'm thinking they have been here for a total of 4 years...out of 6. must like American cooking!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz