Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruddmd

LOOKING for: Something Sinful in Dark Chocolate

RuddMD
20 years ago

I have a friend going in for surgery tomorrow and I plan on visiting her this weekend. She loves dark chocolate. I would like to make a treat to give to her. Do you have any suggestions?

Candy?

Bars?

Cookies?

Cakes?

Pies?

All ideas welcome!

Comments (2)

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

SLICES OF SIN (serves 10-12)
    8 oz semisweet chocolate (use a good brand)
    1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
    2 sticks butter, (1/2 lb)
    1 cup sugar
    4 eggs, beaten
    1 cup heavy cream
    Preheat oven to 350°. Line a glass loaf pan w/foil; butter the foil. In the top of a double boiler, melt the chocolate in the coffee. Add the butter & sugar, stirring until the butter is melted. Cool the mixture for 10 minutes. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Bake until a crust forms on top, approximately 35-45 minutes. When cool enough to handle, set the loaf pan in enough cool water to come halfway up the pan. The dessert wil rise & fall as it cools. When cool, wrap the pan well & refrigerate for at least 2 days or up to 2 weeks. When ready to serve, beat the cream until stiff (can flavor with 2-3 tsp brandy, but I just used vanilla & a little sugar). Unmold the loaf & slice. Garnish w/cream.~~

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Thought of this one. VERY chocolatey:
    FUDGE ECSTASIES (makes about 36)
    12 oz semisweet chocolate chips, divided
    2 squares (1 oz each) unsweetened chocolate
    2 TBL butter
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    Pinch of salt
    2 eggs
    2/3 cup sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup chopped nuts

In a medium saucepan, heat 1 cup of the chocolate chips, the unsweetened chocolate & the butter until melted, stirring constantly. Pour into a large bowl & set aside to cool slightly.
    In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder & salt. Add the eggs, sugar & vanilla to the cooled chocolate mixture & beat well. Add the flour mixture & beat thoroughly. Stir in the remaining chocolate bits & the nuts.
    Drop the batter by teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 8-10 minutes or unti the edges are firm & the surface is dull & cracked. Cool for 1 minute before removing from the sheets. Place on wire racks to cool thoroughly.~~

And this one too would be suitable:
    CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY TRUFFLES
    1 1/3 + 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
    2 TBL heavy cream
    1 TBL butter
    2 TBL seedless raspberry jam
    Confectioners' sugar to taste

Combine 1 1/3 cups of the chocolate chips with the cream & butter in the top of a double boiler. Cook over hot water until smooth, stirring constanly. Stir in the jam. Allow the mixture to cool, then freeze, covered with plastic wrap for 20 minutes. Shape into balls. Place on a cookie sheet. Freeze until firm. Melt the remaining cups of chocolate chips in a double boiler over hot water, stirring occasionally. Using a wooden pick, dip the cand balls one at a time into the chocolate. Palce on a cookie sheet (I line the cookie sheet with parchment.) Chill until set. Dust w/confectioners' sugar.~~

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida