Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: graham cracker crust

Posted by yesican (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 9, 06 at 20:47

A few days ago I made a graham cracker crust by using the whole graham crackers and crushing them. I think it actually tasted better than the bought graham cracker crumbs but maybe it was my imagination. I did this because I wanted it in a 9x13 pan. The crust was very hard to get out of the pan and broke all up. I'm going to make a banana split pie and I don't want the same thing to happen. I want to be able to get it out in whole pieces with the pie intact. I hope this makes sense. Anyone have any suggestions. Butter versus margarine, would that make a difference?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: graham cracker crust

I also think the "real" crackers crushed are better than the boxed crumbs.
I don't know what recipe you are using for your crust....but if you bake the crust for about 10 minutes and then cool it , before you fill it, the sugar will melt and sort of hold the crust together before you add the wet ingredients....that is assuming you have enough sugar in the recipe.
Linda C

o

Yesican: I saw Paula Deen cut her alum pie pan with scissors so as to not disturb the pie crust. It seemed to work. In a 9 x 13 pan you might try brushing the crust with an egg wash and baking before adding the topping. That might keep it from breaking apart when removing pieces.
Good luck.

o

Thanks for the ideas. I did bake the crust but I didn't brush it with egg. Maybe I pressed the crust down too hard? It was very hard to get under it with anything.

o

Did you butter the pan before you put the crust in? That helps a lot.
Linda C

o

Linda, I didn't butter the pan! The recipe didn't say to so I didn't. I bet that would make all the difference.

o

I think the boxed cracker crumbs are a little too fine so they don't taste as good.

I too would suggest cooking the crust just a little bit. You may also want to experiment with the amount of butter or margarine you use with the crumbs. I find sometimes my crusts fall apart, but other times they don't; I haven't really figured out why though. Maybe it's the pan?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here