Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
notenoughroses_gw

LOOKING for: Questions regarding dessert party for the holidays

notenoughroses
19 years ago

I have hosted several large holiday parties in the past where I do tons of appetizers, small sandwiches and - of course - loads of sweets. To simplify things this year, I am thinking about hosting a neighborhood 'cookie' party one Sunday evening between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I am hoping to make it clear on the invite that it will be a 'dessert' party (ie: not what they have attended in the past!) But I am wondering ---

Do you think I still need to offer a few 'solid' foods, like chips and salsa, maybe a not-so-sweet quick bread or two? Something to balance out a lot of cookies!

Also, what to serve to drink? I will serve an iced herbal tea - always do and it goes over well. We are not coffee drinkers and there will be a number of small children attending so don't really want to offer a hot drink. A number of our neighbors are drinkers - wine, mixed drinks, beer, etc. Past parties, I always try to offer a mixture of drinks - but, really, we are such a casual group of neighbors, we often BYOB - whether the invite says so or not. What beverages would go over good?

Any other party pointers would be welcome! ~ Suzie

Comments (5)

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

You could state on the invitation to come after dinner for a cookie party. That way they'll know to eat. What about a champagne punch? Decaf coffee since it will be on a Sunday evening & hot chocolate with marshmallows or whipped cream for the kids or adults who might like it with candy cane stirreres.
    CHAMPAGNE PUNCH (3 qts)
    1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
    1/2 cup Triple Sec or other orange liqueur
    1/2 cup cognac
    1/2 cup maraschino cherry juice
    Maraschino cherries, optional
    2 bottles chilled champagne
    1 orange, sliced
    1 lemon, sliced
    1 qt pineapple sherbet

Combine the sugar, liqueur, cognac, cherry juice & cherris, if desired. Pour into a punch bowl. Just before serving, add the chilled champagne, orange & lemon slices & the sherbet. Stir to mix.~~From Holiday Flavors & Favors

• notenoughroses
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you for the punch recipe - that sounds great! I hadn't thought about serving anything like that and love the idea.

I had another question - knew as soon as I hit the darn 'submit' button that I was forgetting something. I saw something the other day (can't remember where now!) where they served dessert tapas - like little mousse in a little glass about the size of a shot glass. It was so cute! I was wondering the logistics of doing something like that - and, besides mousse, what could you serve up small. (Besides truffles and the like.) Has anyone ever done anything like pineapple upside down cake in little mini muffin tins? We have a tapas bar nearby - guess I should stop by and check out their dessert selection! ~ Suzie

• woodie
    19 years ago

Suzie, I'm not able to offer much help in the dessert category but I can tell you that if I were your neighbor, I'd love to come for a little dessert, but I would most definitely appreciate something 'not sweet' and 'not dessert'. That's just me, and maybe I'm not alone.

Personally, I like a little something sweet once in a while, but not too much and not too often. So, I'd be delighted to come to your party for the friendship and camaraderie, but I'd be really happy if you had something simple like chips and salsa to offer also. (Doesn't need to be a lot or anything fancy, just something to cut the sweetness.) One of my favorite savory 'cookie' is:

BLUE CHEESE WALNUT BITES
    (BHG 2000)

1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
    2-3 teaspoons cracked black pepper
    8 ounces blue cheese
    1/4 cup butter
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    2 egg yolks, slighty beaten

In a medium mixing bowl combine flour and pepper. Using a pastry blender cut in cheese and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add walnuts and egg yolks. Stir until combined. Form the mixture into a ball; knead until combined.

Divide dough in half. shape each half into a log about 9 inches long. Wrap logs in plastic wrap, chill at least 2 hours. Preheat oven to 425*

Cut each log into 1/4 inch thick slices. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until bottoms and edges are golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temp. Store tightly covered.

Something else that is seasonal and easy and all you need is some chips or crackers with it:

Posted by: Elvis (My Page) on Tue, Dec 3, 02 at 21:45
    Here's a stunning looking, easy-easy dip.

Almond Pinecones:

1 1/4 c. Almonds
    8 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1/4 c. mayo
    10 bacon slices, crisp and crumbled (fake will NOT do)
    2 T. minced green onion
    3/4 t. dill weed
    1/4 t. freshly ground pepper, any color

Roast almonds till slightly browned (VERY slightly). Combine all other ingredients and chill several hours or overnight. Form the dough into 1 pinecone shaped (flat on serving platter side) mounds. Starting at pointy end of cone place overlapping almonds in a scaly fashion to make them resemble cones. Garnish top ends of cones with pine, if available in your area. Simply adorable, and delicious. Serve with crackers. Very seasonable. Tip: Don't store with the almonds in place for more than several hours, as they will become soggy from the dip.

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

Below is a thread from a while back here about mini tarts that Lisa started.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mini Tarts

• jenn
    19 years ago

MMMMMmmmmmmmmm, may I come? :-)

How about some spiced nuts and hot apple cider. I'd love some hot decaf to go with the cookies, or hot chocolate. Perhaps you could just put out some hot water and instant coffee, hot chocolate, and tea and they can make their own.

Also, a mix of different types of cookies would be nice, including bars, balls, cut-outs, biscotti, etc.

If you serve liquor, a sweet dessert wine or liquor would be nice.

Have fun!

Jen

Sponsored
SparkWise Electric (aka Max Electric)
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Expert Electricians for Electric Service and Lighting