Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: pumpkin trifle

Posted by eileenlaunonen (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 07 at 13:42

I have Paula Deens Pumpkin trifle recipe she uses gingerbread cake...which I dont like whats a good substitute ...thinking spice cake???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: pumpkin trifle

What's the difference between gingerbread and spice cake? Both have cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves and brown suigar...
How about a pumpkin bread? Or perhaps an apple cake?

o

Any spice cake I've made doesn't have molasses in it. The texture in a spice cake might be kind of light for a trifle, although I haven't seen Paula Deene's recipe.
One of those Stouffer's loaf pound cakes would work with a trifle or here's one that also might work:

CHOCOLATE CHIP BOURBON PECAN LOAF (make the day before)
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 cups coarsely chopped pecans
5 TBL Bourbon

Preheat oven to 350. Oil a 9" loaf pan. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt. Set aside. Beat the eggs, butter, syrup & sugar together with a mixer at medium speed until light & fluffy. Reduce the speed to low. Add the flour mixture & buttermilk alternately to the egg mixture, beating well after each addition. Stir in the chocolate chips, pecans & Bourbon. Pour into the prepared pan, smoothing the top. Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a tester inserted near the center comes out clean.
Allow the loaf to cool in the pan 10 minutes. Remove the loaf from the pan & cool completely on a rack. Store in a sealed plastic bag or airtight container.~~Gourmet L.A.

o

Found the ingredients online for the trifle. I think I'd do a pound cake. There are enough other spicy things going on with this:
2 (14 ounce) packages gingerbread mix
1 (5 1/8 ounce) package vanilla pudding mix
1 (30 ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 pinches ground cardamom
1/4 cup sherry wine or Southern Comfort (very tasty!) (optional)
1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping
1/2 cup crushed gingersnap cookies
2-3 tablespoons chopped pecans, for garnish (optional)

o

Thanks everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here