Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: New York Crumb Cake (for breakfast)

Posted by lorna-organic (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 07 at 12:08

New York Crumb Cake

Baking time 20-25 mins. Oven 325

Sift together:
l-1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup white sugar
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Whisk together in separate bowl:
1 egg
l/2 cup milk whisk together in separate bowl
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla

Combine both by stirring with wooden spoon. Grease and flour baking pan,approx. 13x8" (brownie pan). Spread batter evenly, it will look scanty but don't worry.

Topping

1 cup melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
2-1/2 cups flour
1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Stir Topping ingredients together with a fork, or crumble together by hand. Sprinkle crumbs thickly on top of cake batter. Bake cake for approx. 20 mins.

Cool cake (in pan) for 10 mins., then sift a bit (about 1/4 cup) of confectioners sugar (powdered sugar) over the top, cut into squares and serve.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: New York Crumb Cake (for breakfast)

I love crumb cake. Gonna save this one. Thanks for posting it!

o

That's a lot like the Cooks Illustrated recipe. I made it and was not pleased with the taste or texture. I couldn't make sense of why there's more flour in the topping than in the cake.

o

I have cookingrv SUE"S I make it and cook in a 1/2 aluminum tin so its easily transported Use vanilla boxed cake mix made to box directions for the crumb topping 1lb melted butter 2 tsp vanilla 4 cups flour 2 tsp cinnamon 1 cup white sugar...........spread on a cookie sheet to dry then break into crumbs...bake cake 1/2 way then add crumbs when cooled dust with powdered sugar....this is a real easy delicious crumb cake

o

I assume this one is the kind that has LOTS of the big chunks of crumbs on it, which I like. Hope the OP comes back & verifies the quantities on the topping.

o

The crumb topping for a New York style cake is meant to be thick. Yes, Ginger, the large quantity of butter and flour allows for serious crumbs. A friend from New York said she hadn't had such a good crumb cake since she left New York.

o

Aint nothing like New york Crumb Cake,Pizza and bagels IMO

o

Definitely going to make this, then. The crumbs are the best part. Thanks again.

o

Thanks, Lorna, I also make Sue's recipe like Eileen does but I'd love to try one that doesn't call for a cake mix - on very rare occasions I get the urge to make something homemade, LOL. As a New Jersey girl, we think the Jersey crumbcakes are the best, LOL!

o

I used the crumb part of the recipe to make an apple crisp this afternoon. I am pleased with it. The crumb cake recipe is really easy, not much more bother than using a boxed mix.

I lived in New Jersey,and upstate New York, when I was a kid. I'm originally from Massachusetts, but lived most of my life in northern California. I moved to New Mexico a few years ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here