Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Slices of Sin Question

Posted by aka_Raeanne (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 12, 05 at 12:02

Ginger - I have had your recipe printed out for so long and still haven't made it. I think it will make a perfect addition to my Thanksgiving menu. I have one question, I am not a big coffee lover, but I am a chocolate lover - does the 1/2 cup of coffee give it a lot of flavor or is it mild? Thanks for your help and keep those great recipes coming.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Slices of Sin Question

I don't drink coffee either but this sure adds to the rich flavor. I wouldn't omit it. It doesn't taste like coffee though. I hope you like it. It's my standby.

o

Ginger, is that recipe still on a thread here? It sounds like a good one!

o

Ginger's recipe is probably one of the first I saved on the Cooking forum, even though she doesn't post there anymore. Here's the original and a recent posting.

Posted by: Ginger-St Thomas on Tue, Nov 9, 99 at 10:07

SLICES OF SIN (improves with age)
8 oz semisweet chocolate (use the good kind)
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
2 sticks butter
1 cup sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup heavy cream
2-3 tsp brandy
Preheat oven to 350. Line a glass loaf pan w/foil; butter the foil. In the top of a double boiler, melt the chocolate in the coffee (can do this in a microwave). Add the butter & sugar, stirring until the butter is melted. Cool the mixture for 10 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Bake until a crust forms on top, approximately 35-45 minutes. Set the loaf pan in enough cool water to come halfway up the pan. The dessert will rise & fall as it cools. (Don't put the glass pan in the cool water until the pan cools a bit.) When cool, wrap the pan well & refrigerate for at least 2 days or up to 2 weeks. When ready to serve, beat the cream until stiff. Stir in the brandy. Unmold the loaf & slice into individual servings. Garnish w/dollops of cream. Serves 10-12.

SLICES OF SIN (serves 10-12)
8 oz semisweet chocolate (use a good brand)
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
2 sticks butter, (1/2 lb)
1 cup sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup heavy cream
Preheat oven to 350. Line a glass loaf pan w/foil; butter the foil. In the top of a double boiler, melt the chocolate in the coffee. Add the butter & sugar, stirring until the butter is melted. Cool the mixture for 10 minutes. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Bake until a crust forms on top, approximately 35-45 minutes. When cool enough to handle, set the loaf pan in enough cool water to come halfway up the pan. The dessert wil rise & fall as it cools. When cool, wrap the pan well & refrigerate for at least 2 days or up to 2 weeks. When ready to serve, beat the cream until stiff (can flavor with 2-3 tsp brandy, but I just used vanilla & a little sugar). Unmold the loaf & slice. Garnish w/cream.
~~From Capital Classics

Here is a link that might be useful: Slices of Sin

o

I'm glad the links at the google search copied my notes too. :) I first posted it either here or at Recipe Exchange.

o

HanArt, thanks for those recipes. I will be trying that one for the holidays!

o

Thank you for your response. I will definitely make it and I will add the coffee - I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a strong coffee flavor. I am sure we will enjoy it. I think this may be the recipe that has been requested and posted the most times on this entire site. Thank you Ginger.

o

You're most welcome. It really is better if you make it a couple days ahead.

o

I can't believe I put off making this recipe for so long, it is so easy and sooooo delicious. Thanks, it was a huge hit.

o

Glad you enjoyed it. I made it last weekend & have a sliver calling to me from the refrigerator. Nice to have something you can make a coupld days (or more) ahead of time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here