Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aka_raeanne

RECIPE: Slices of Sin Question

aka_raeanne
18 years ago

Ginger - I have had your recipe printed out for so long and still haven't made it. I think it will make a perfect addition to my Thanksgiving menu. I have one question, I am not a big coffee lover, but I am a chocolate lover - does the 1/2 cup of coffee give it a lot of flavor or is it mild? Thanks for your help and keep those great recipes coming.

Comments (9)

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

I don't drink coffee either but this sure adds to the rich flavor. I wouldn't omit it. It doesn't taste like coffee though. I hope you like it. It's my standby.

• marylmi
    18 years ago

Ginger, is that recipe still on a thread here? It sounds like a good one!

• HanArt
    18 years ago

Ginger's recipe is probably one of the first I saved on the Cooking forum, even though she doesn't post there anymore. Here's the original and a recent posting.

Posted by: Ginger-St Thomas on Tue, Nov 9, 99 at 10:07

SLICES OF SIN (improves with age)
    8 oz semisweet chocolate (use the good kind)
    1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
    2 sticks butter
    1 cup sugar
    4 eggs, beaten
    1 cup heavy cream
    2-3 tsp brandy
    Preheat oven to 350°. Line a glass loaf pan w/foil; butter the foil. In the top of a double boiler, melt the chocolate in the coffee (can do this in a microwave). Add the butter & sugar, stirring until the butter is melted. Cool the mixture for 10 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Bake until a crust forms on top, approximately 35-45 minutes. Set the loaf pan in enough cool water to come halfway up the pan. The dessert will rise & fall as it cools. (Don't put the glass pan in the cool water until the pan cools a bit.) When cool, wrap the pan well & refrigerate for at least 2 days or up to 2 weeks. When ready to serve, beat the cream until stiff. Stir in the brandy. Unmold the loaf & slice into individual servings. Garnish w/dollops of cream. Serves 10-12.

SLICES OF SIN (serves 10-12)
    8 oz semisweet chocolate (use a good brand)
    1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
    2 sticks butter, (1/2 lb)
    1 cup sugar
    4 eggs, beaten
    1 cup heavy cream
    Preheat oven to 350°. Line a glass loaf pan w/foil; butter the foil. In the top of a double boiler, melt the chocolate in the coffee. Add the butter & sugar, stirring until the butter is melted. Cool the mixture for 10 minutes. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Bake until a crust forms on top, approximately 35-45 minutes. When cool enough to handle, set the loaf pan in enough cool water to come halfway up the pan. The dessert wil rise & fall as it cools. When cool, wrap the pan well & refrigerate for at least 2 days or up to 2 weeks. When ready to serve, beat the cream until stiff (can flavor with 2-3 tsp brandy, but I just used vanilla & a little sugar). Unmold the loaf & slice. Garnish w/cream.
    ~~From Capital Classics

Here is a link that might be useful: Slices of Sin

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

I'm glad the links at the google search copied my notes too. :) I first posted it either here or at Recipe Exchange.

• marylmi
    18 years ago

HanArt, thanks for those recipes. I will be trying that one for the holidays!

• aka_raeanne
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for your response. I will definitely make it and I will add the coffee - I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a strong coffee flavor. I am sure we will enjoy it. I think this may be the recipe that has been requested and posted the most times on this entire site. Thank you Ginger.

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

You're most welcome. It really is better if you make it a couple days ahead.

• aka_raeanne
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I can't believe I put off making this recipe for so long, it is so easy and sooooo delicious. Thanks, it was a huge hit.

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

Glad you enjoyed it. I made it last weekend & have a sliver calling to me from the refrigerator. Nice to have something you can make a coupld days (or more) ahead of time.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm