Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_in_germany

RECIPE: German cookies

Lisa_in_Germany
19 years ago

I am in the process of translating some German cookie recipes. I will post them here as I get them done.

These are translated to the best of my ability and I hope they work for you.

Florentiner (makes about 30 small cookies)

My Husband's favorite cookie of all.

1/4 c. each of candied orange peel and candied lemon peel (you could use mixed candied fruit)

1 1/2 T Butter

2/3 c. sliced almonds (or a little more)

2/3 c. sugar

2 T Vanilla Sugar (Or 1 1/2 t. extract)

3/4 c. whipping cream

8 oz. bittersweet chocolate

Chop peel finely. Melt butter and add each ingredient one at a time into pan (except for chocolate). Bring to a boil. Cook on low heat, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes until a dough forms.

Drop onto baking paper lined cookie sheet with a teaspoon. Keep a distance between cookies as they tend to spread.

Flatten with spoon. Bake in preheated 350 deg. oven for 20 min. for the first sheet ful and 15 min. for each consecutive sheet full.

Melt chocolate and brush on bottom of each cookie when cool.

Comments (12)

• roselin32
    19 years ago

Sounds great, Lisa-will look for the others to follow
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

I can't wait for them either.

• Lisa_in_Germany
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Good Lord! The Pressure!!!!!!!!!!!
    ROFL
    Lisa

• roselin32
    19 years ago

Pressure, what pressure-tomorrow we get the next one, right?? LOL
    RL`

• barbara52
    19 years ago

Sounds delicious. One question before I begin:
    for the almonds, do you use the flat almond slivers, or the ones that look like little sticks? I'm thinking the slivers, because aren't these cookies supposed to be very thin? Anyway, if you can confirm, thanks!

• Lisa_in_Germany
    Original Author
    19 years ago

almond slivers, BArbara. Hope you like them.
    Lisa

• Janet
    19 years ago

Lisa, those sound wonderful. Do you have recipes for leibkuchen or pfeffernuse? DH's grandmother made them but I never got the recipes. I do have her recipe for springerle as that's my husband's favorite cookie.

• roselin32
    19 years ago

I'm not Lisa but these are from my German cookbook that I got when we lived there:
    A Christmas favorite in our home.
    Lebkuchen Bars
    1 tsp cinnamon
    l teaspoon ground allspice
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 1/2 c unsifted flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 c ground almonds
    1 tsp grated lemon rind
    2 eggs
    3/4 c sugar
    3/4 c honey
    1/2 c milk
    Almond Glaze
    1 c confectioner's sugar
    1/2 tsp almond extract
    1 tsp rum
    1-2T water
    Sift together spices, salt, flour, and baking powder. Stir in the almonds and lemon rind. In a separate bowl beat the eggs and sugar until a ribbon forms when the beater is removed. Stir in the honey and milk. Gradually stir in the flour mixture and beat until smooth. Spread the batter in an 11x17" greased jelly roll pan. Bake in a preheated 400° oven for12-15 minutes until the cake is done. While still warm turn the cake out onto a rack. Mix the confectioner's sugar, almond extrac, rum and water. Beat until it is smooth and of a glaze consistency, adding more water if necessary. Spread on warm cake. Cut into bars while still warm.
    Yields: 2-3 dozen.
    RL`

• Virginia7074
    19 years ago

Oh, I just love lebkuchen and those sound really good. Thx.

• annie1992
    19 years ago

Here's another version of lebkuchen, posted on the Harvest Forum by Alison. She says it's a traditional recipe, the one used since she was a small child. Notice it takes "curing" in a crock to make them soft and she says they will keep for a year!

Alison's Lebkuchen

4C flour, sifted
    5 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. ground cloves
    2/3 C honey
    1 1/4 C sugar
    1/3 C shortening (usually margarine)
    1 egg
    1 T water

glaze:
    2 T butter or margarine
    1/4 C honey
    blanched whole almonds

Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and cloves onto waxed paper. Combine 2/3 C honey, sugar, and 1/3 C butter or margarine in a saucepan big enough to mix the dough in. Heat, stirring constantly, just to boiling. Cool slightly. Beat egg and water in small bowl, stir into honey mixture, then add flour 1/3 at a time, blending well. Turn out on lightly floured board and knead 3 min. or until smooth. Chill 1 hour or until firm.

Roll out dough 1/2 inch thick on a floured board. Cut into 1 1/2" squares. Place 1" apart on greased cookie sheets; reroll trimmings and cut again. Melt 2T butter or margarine in a small saucepan, stir in the 1/4C honey. Brush over cookies, press whole almonds into tops. Bake at 300 for 25 minutes or until firm and golden; cool completely on racks.

----

As they cool they get harder, until a day or so later they're little rocks. Then we load them into the crock, with a slice of apple if we're late that year, and wait for them to get soft. They keep for at least a year after that.

I've got a batch of these in my version of a crock, Tupperware. LOL They aren't soft yet.

Annie

• Janet
    19 years ago

Both recipes sound good. I'll have to see if Larry or his sister can remember if Grandma rolled them or used a pan. I made some last year but they just weren't quite 'it.' Thanks again!