Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recipe: help with my chocolate frosting recipe

Posted by mdsuarez (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 21, 03 at 11:10

Hi,

I have been using my mother's chocolate frosting recipe for some time now. About half the time, it comes out perfect, all nice and creamy. The other half it comes out gritty, like the sugar crystalized.

What am I doing wrong? Dit I get it too hot? or.... not hot enough? What causes the powdered sugar to crystalize. Any help is appreciated.

Recipe:

3-4 ounces Bakers unsweetened chocolate (the orange box)
3 cups powdered sugar
3 tbsp butter
6 tbsp hot milk
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp real vanilla

Melt chocolate and butter on low heat.
Combine powdered sugar and hot milk.... mix well
Add sugar and milk to chocolate and butter... cook just a little

Let cool.

Add salt and vanilla..... mix well.

That is it. Done. Delicious.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recipe: help with my chocolate frosting recipe

I wonder if when you made it & it turned gritty if the climate was humid?

o

Not particularly humid. I would say average. I just made it yesterday, and it was a fairly nice day. I am guessing the crystalization of the powdered sugar has something to do with they process.... ie... Heating the chocolate too much before adding the sugar, or... Heating the chocolate and sugar mixture too much.... or... not heating the chocolate and sugar enough. The "Heat just a little" part of my mom's recipe has always been the most vague to me.

o

Not particularly humid. I would say average. I just made it yesterday, and it was a fairly nice day. I am guessing the crystalization of the powdered sugar has something to do with they process.... ie... Heating the chocolate too much before adding the sugar, or... Heating the chocolate and sugar mixture too much.... or... not heating the chocolate and sugar enough. The "Heat just a little" part of my mom's recipe has always been the most vague to me.

o

Or maybe you mixed the sugar & milk less?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here