Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: bourbon pound/fruit cake

Posted by caryls (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 07 at 10:24

This is an old recipe & not sure what the name was. It was more of a pound cake texture with I think cherries, golden raisins & maybe citron in it. I do not like fuitcake so this was noting like a typical fuitcake. It was baked in a tube pan & then wraped in bourbon soaked cheesecloth, wrapped in foil & refrigerated. You had to check the cheesecloth & resoak when it was dried which in the beginning was very day & then less & less. It stayed refrigerated & soaked for about 6 weeks. It was great perfect for the more mature guest. If anyone has the recipe I'd also like to know if anyone has experimented with making it into mini loaves for gifts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: bourbon pound/fruit cake

Check out these at the site below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bourbon Cake

o

Pound cakes were what people made before recipe books were common. All of the ingredients in the recipe required a one pound quantity, thus there was no need for a written recipe. The recipe I posted under the other fruit cake thread, Old-fashioned English Fruit Cake, is a pound cake. One could substitue bourbon for the liquors I mentioned.

o

I've made this one for years. I haven't tried it in smaller though.

Bourbon Fruit Cake

2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans
1 jar (3- oz.) candied red cherries
2 cups of raisins
1 cup of bourbon

1- cups butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
7 eggs

3- cups flour (sift before measuring)
1- tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. nutmeg
tsp. salt
Mix these together.

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 10" Bundt or tube pan.

In large bowl combine nuts, cherries and raisins with cup bourbon. Mix well and let stand at room temperature several hours or overnight. Liquid will be absorbed.

In large bowl, beat at medium speed: butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating for 4 minutes, scrapping sides of bowl. Batter will become thick, fluffy and lighter in color. At low speed gradually beat in flour mixture until smooth.

Add to fruit, combine well. Turn into prepared pan. Smooth top with spatula. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 20 minutes. Soak cheesecloth in rest of bourbon. Wrap cooled cake in cheesecloth and foil, refrigerate several days to mellow. Will keep for weeks in refrigerate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here