Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janiceohio

Sam's Club oatmeal and raisen cookies

JaniceOhio
20 years ago

I am in love with these cookies from Sam's Club. They are soft and chewy and thick. I am totally unable to make them. How do they make these 3 1/2" wide and 1/2" thick cookies? Mine just spread out and get thin. Do they pour them into a mold to get them so round and thick? Any ideas?

Comments (9)

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is from Epicurious & is a Cook's Illustrated recipe:

Cook's Illustrated's (Moist And Chewy) Oatmeal Cookies (With Raisins & Variations
    Michael in Denver, Quaker Oats has their famous Vanishing Oatmeal cookies, which remain soft if you leave them on your baking sheets for a minute or two before completely cooling on wire racks. I always soak my raisins in water and drain them before adding them to my cookies, although, I have heard that rum is better. :O)

Cook's Illustrated #1 Oatmeal Cookies

Why did it take six months to develop the right recipe for a chewy, thick, buttery oatmeal cookie? Well, it all started and ended with the back of the Quaker Oats box....

The challenge: When we considered doing a story on oatmeal cookies, the first place we went was the back of the Quaker Oats box, and the cookies the Quaker recipe produced were very good. Nonetheless, we wanted something moremore chewy, more moist, and more substantial. We were after a big, moist, chewy cookie with lots of real oat flavor.
    The solution: After literally months of testing, our final recipe was in fact still very close to the Quaker Oats recipe that had gotten us started, but we had discovered four simple changes that made a significant difference in the end result. First, we substituted baking powder for baking soda. The baking powder gave the dough more lift, which in turn made the cookies less dense and a bit chewier. Second, we eliminated the cinnamon recommended not only in the Quaker Oats recipe but in lots of other recipes. By taking away the cinnamon, we revealed more oat flavor. Third, we made our cookies really big, doubling the amount of dough most recipes recommend dropping onto the cookie sheet. We had learned that small cookies tend to be dry; by increasing size, we got more moisture and more chewiness. Fourth, we increased the sugar in our cookies, and this made a huge difference in terms of texture and moistness. Sugar makes baked goods both more tender and more moist because it helps the end product retain water during baking. In addition, by encouraging exterior browning, sugar promotes crispness. In the end, we had gotten even more out of our new oatmeal cookie recipe than we'd hoped for.

BIG CHEWY OATMEAL-RAISIN COOKIES

Makes 16 to 20 large cookies

If you prefer a less sweet cookie, you can reduce the white sugar by one-quarter cup, but you will lose some crispness. Do not overbake these cookies. The edges should be brown but the rest of the cookie should still be very light in color. Parchment makes for easy cookie removal and cleanup, but it's not a necessity. If you don't use parchment, let the cookies cool directly on the baking sheet for two minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.

Ingedients:

2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter,
    softened but still firm
    1 cup light brown sugar
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    3 cups rolled oats
    1 1/2 cups raisins (optional)

1. Adjust oven racks to low and middle positions; heat oven to 350 degrees. In bowl of electric mixer or by hand, beat butter until creamy. Add sugars; beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time.

2. Mix flour, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg together, then stir them into butter-sugar mixture with wooden spoon or large rubber spatula. Stir in oats and optional raisins.

3. Form dough into sixteen to twenty 2-inch balls, placing each dough round onto one of two parchment paperÂcovered, large cookie sheets. Bake until cookie edges turn golden brown, 22 to 25 minutes. (Halfway during baking, turn cookie sheets from front to back and also switch them from top to bottom.) Slide cookies on parchment onto cooling rack. Let cool at least 30 minutes before serving.

DATE OATMEAL COOKIES

Substitute 1 1/2 cups chopped dates for the raisins.

GINGER OATMEAL COOKIES

Omit raisins and add 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger.

CHOCOLATE CHIP OATMEAL COOKIES

Substitute 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips for the raisins.

NUT OATMEAL COOKIES

Omit raisins, decrease flour to 1 1/3 cups, and add 1/4 cup ground almonds and 1 cup walnut pieces along with oats. Almonds can be ground in food processor or blender.

ORANGE AND ALMOND OATMEAL COOKIES

Omit raisins and add 2 tablespoons minced orange zest (remove zest with peeler, being careful to leave behind any white pith) and 1 cup toasted chopped almonds (toast almonds in 350-degree oven for 5 minutes) along with oats.

Author(s): Christopher Kimball - Eva Katz
    Written: January,1997

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

(Only if you leave out those nasty raisins. LOL)

• roselin32
    20 years ago

The next cookies I make for the kids at my ISP have to be oatmeal raisin ones-wonder if I could substitute choc chips?? Nah, I promised so will go buy some raisins.
    RL`

• fheauthor
    15 years ago

You can buy Sam's Club Oatmeal Raisin Cookie dough (preformed and frozen) by the box (or any other kind of cookies they carry). If I remember right you get around 200 cookies for $32. Just place 12 on a cookie sheet and bake. Yummy hot gooey cookies in 16 minutes. Just ask the person working in the bakery. They're great if you're having a big party or a box will last a long time in your freezer when just cooking a dozen at a time.

• lovepugs
    15 years ago

Mmmmmmm--I left out the nasty raisins, too! Delicious!! I made mine a little smaller (about 2 to 2.5 inches each, got 20 out of half a recipe) and baked for 15 minutes--I think these are the best oatmeal cookies I've ever made. Thanks for the recipe!

• angel_2009
    15 years ago

I tried these cookies and they were very dry. What might I have done wrong? I did not cook them right away. But refrigerated them over night. Help

• jojoco
    15 years ago

I made these today and they were outstanding. Really great. My friend went into great detail about why he loved the cookies (as he was eating them) and kept saying how they were crispy on the bottom, but soft on the insides.
    The recipe is a keeper.
    Thanks.
    Jo

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

I made this recipe and the cookies were dry, like another poster's. Also, I thought they were overly sweet and the flavor was too oatmeal-ey. Used whole rolled oats.