1 tsp vanilla

2 eggs

1 oz square unsweetened chocolate melted & cooled

1 cup flour

1/2 cup chocolate malted milk powder

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup walnut pieces

For the bars: Preheat the oven to 350°. Combine the sugar, shortening & vanilla in a mixing bowl; cream until fluffy. Beat in the eggs. Stir in the chocolate. Sift the flour, malted milk powder, baking powder & salt together. Stir in to the creamed mixture & fold in the walnuts.

Spread the batter ina greased 8x8x2" baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes. Cool in the pan.

Frosting:

2 TBL butter, softened

1/4 cup chocolate malted milk powder

Dash of salt

1 cup confectioners' sugar

1 1/2 TBL half-and-half

Cream the butter, malted milk powder & salt together until smooth. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar & half-and-half. Spread over the cooled bars.~~

Comments (15)

• becky_ca
    20 years ago

YUM! Yes, I love chocolate malts (or anything chocolate, for that matter). I do have a question, though. The "chocolate malted milk powder" that is listed as an ingredient - would that be Ovaltine or something else? This is headed straight for my "want to try" folder :-)

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

No, not Ovaltine, Becky. Horlick's makes one brand I can get here & I THINK Kraft or Nestle makes one, too. Look where the hot cocoa mixes are in your grocery. Without malted milk powder a malt or malted is just an ice cream shake.

• annie1992
    20 years ago

Yum, Ginger, I LOVE malts. When I was small my aunt would take me to Dairy Queen and let me have a chocolate malted for supper (if I ate anything, I didn't have room for the malted!).

My Grandmother used to go nuts when she did this, so we stopped telling her. LOL

Annie

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Another Malted Milk Balls lover here-Thanx, Ginger-great sounding recipe as always!
    RL`

• ginger_s
    20 years ago

The best part of this recipe, after the bars of course, is you can make malteds with the leftover malt. Can't let it go to waste (she said with all innocence).

Ginger S

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

My mother loved ice cream & every time one of us had to go to the doctor we'd stop at Velvet Freeze for chocolate malts afterwards. The kind where they'd also give you the metal mixing cup alongside the glass. I don't think Velvet Freeze is still in business in St. Louis.
    Also, always had a chocolate malt with a grilled cheese sandwich at the lunch counter when shopping at Famous-Barr, now May Co.

• eliza_ann
    20 years ago

I just happened to have a can of the nestle's chocolate malt powder in the pantry,so I'll definetly have to try these today.Chocolate malt's were part of growing up.We used to have it both hot and cold.Come home from ice skating on the ponds with frozen fingers and toes to hot chocolate malt....yum...yum

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hope you like them, Eliza!

• mandysbaba
    19 years ago

Ginger: Just came across this while combing the site. Velvet Freeze is not in business any longer but I sure remember some of their flavors! I love malt also, and am very nostalgic (my family is sick of hearing about this) for another old St. Louis favorite made by the Pevely Dairy Company. This was malted ice cream on a stick called a "Cho-Cho." Recently, malted ice cream was available from one of the Edy's premium brands. By the way, Famous-Barr is still called that here in St. Louis (parent company is May.)

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I didn't realize Pevely made Cho-cho bars. I loved those when I was a kid. You poked the stick in the top & took off the paper & licked it. They were my all-time favorite.

Swiss Chocolate by Velvet Freeze was my choice all the time. It was really chocolate chip but it was more like slivers & chunks of chocolate. Good stuff.

• mandysbaba
    19 years ago

Hey, I am glad somebody else remembers cho-cho bars fondly! When I was a kid, Pevely had a store on Forsyth in Clayton--there was a fountain outside with colored lights...

• woodie
    19 years ago

I don't come over to the dessert forum very often but when I do, I always find something I need to try! This recipe sounds wonderful, Ginger. Ken and I both love chocolate malts! DD makes a frozen yogurt pie with vanilla froz yogurt and crushed malt ball candies. Its easy and good.

Tomorrow, I think we'll need to go into town to Burleigh's Luncheonette to have a real old fashioned chocolate malt in the big stainless steel container - we share it, its so big. Thanks for the calories, Ginger:) When I was little I would meet my mother for lunch when she worked up the street and we'd go to Wimpy's Luncheonette and I'd have a chocolate malt and a hot roast beef sandwich - or sometimes I'd have a butterscotch sundae for dessert instead. Mmmmm, what delicious memories!

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I hope you like it, Woodie. I'd love the recipe for the pie, if you have it.

• woodie
    19 years ago

Ginger, you were up late last night!

There is no real recipe for that pie - just softened vanilla yogurt mixed with crushed malt ball candies and spooned into a graham cracker crust then frozen. Its practically health food.

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You mean there isn't ANY whipped cream in it??? LOL