Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

LOOKING for: Bar cookie w/multiple layers

jenn
17 years ago

We went to the Fall Festival at the church tonight. This is the one for which I baked the Chunky Orange Marmalade Cookies. I think everyone else on the planet also took cookies, bars, cupcakes, pies, cakes, brownies, and whatever else is sweet because that booth was overflowing with goodies.

I bought a bar cookie for which I'd love to find a recipe. The bottom layer is like shortbread and about 1/4-inch thick. The middle layer is chocolate (probably semi-sweet chocolate). The top layer is what I'm not sure about -- it contains chopped walnuts and may also include brown sugar, an egg or two (to hold it together), probably vanilla... and I'm stumped for what else. This layer is chewy and resembles the top of a pecan pie in color (but without the pecans).

The bar is to-die-for delicious.

Anyone have a recipe for something like this? If I can find one it will definitely go on the Christmas tray this year.

Thanks,

Jen

Comments (7)

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Sounds like a variation of Carmelitas. Not sure if this is it or not but this is worth posting anyway:
    CARMELITAS (makes 48)
    1 cup + 3 TBL flour
    1 cup quick cooking oats
    3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    12 TBL butter, melted
    1/2 tsp salt1/2 tsp baking soda
    6 oz semisweet chocolate chips
    1/2 cup chopped nuts
    3/4 cup butterscotch topping

Preheat oven to 350°. Mix together 1 cup of the flou, the oats, sugar, butter, salt & baking soda. Pat 1/2 of this mixture into a 9x12" baking pan. Bake 10 minutes. Remove from teh oven & sprinkle w/the chocolate chips & nuts. Mix the butterscotch topping with the remaining 3 TBL flour & warm slightly in a small pan. Drizzle over the nuts & chocolate chips. Cover w/the remaining oat/sugar mixture. Bake 20 more minutes. Cool & cut into bars.~~Celebrate

• jenn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Those sound delicious, Ginger. But it doesn't sound the same. The bottom layer of the one I bought is definitely like shortbread (butter, flour, sugar), and no oats. The top layer reminds me of the top of a pecan pie but with walnuts instead, not quite as gooey though, just chewy.

But your recipe is a keeper anyway -- thanks!

Jen

• roselin32
    17 years ago

Here are some bars that I make that have the chocolate on top:
    Butter Pecan Bars
    Combine with a pastry cutter:
    3/4c brown sugar
    1/3c butter
    1 3/4c flour
    Press into a greased 9x13 pan.
    Sprinkle with 1 1/2c pecans pressing pecans lightly into dough
    In a 1 qt saucepan combine
    1/2c brown sugar
    2/3c butter
    Bring to boil and boil 1 minute stirring constantly.
    Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or til bubbly
    Remove from oven and sprinkle with;
    1c semisweet chocolat chips.
    Let stand 2 minutes and swirl together.
    Cool and cut into squares.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

Forgot about this one..sounds more like what you are looking for:
    Chocolate Pecan Bars
    1 1/4 c flour
    1c powdered sugar
    1/2c cocoa
    1c butter
    1 can condensed milk
    1 egg
    2 tsp vanilla
    1 1/2c chopped pecans
    Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and cocoa. Cut butter into cocoa mix til crumbly and press into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13" pan. Bake for 15 minutes. In a medium bowl, beat condensed milk,egg and vanill until creamy. Stir in pecans and spread evenly over hot crust. Return to oven and bake another 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool and cut into bars to serve. Store in refrig.

• maureen_me
    17 years ago

They sound like Pecan Pie Squares, except with chocolate added and walnuts instead of pecans. Sort of like a ham sandwich, except with apples added and with chicken instead of ham! :o)

Anyway, I've made this recipe several times, even though I don't usually use cake mixes, and people really inhale them. I bet you could add a layer of chocolate and make them even better. (I got this from someone who got it from her sister-in-law, who said she got it from Paula Deen, but I'm not so sure about that.)

Pecan Pie Squares

1 box yellow cake mix (she used Duncan Hines butter kind, so I did, too)
    1 stick butter
    4 eggs
    1 1/2 c. light corn syrup
    1/2 packed dark brown sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
    2 c. chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 9 x 13 pan. For the crust, in a bowl mix the cake mix, 1 egg, and melted butter. Measure out 2/3 c. of this mixture and save for topping. Pat the rest of mixture in pan and bake for 15 mins. Stir reserved crust mixture, 3 eggs, corn syrup,brown sugar, and vanilla. Last stir in the pecans. Pour this mixture over partially baked crust. Increase the oven temp. to 375 degrees and bake an additional 30 mins. or until cake
    is set. Cool and cut into bars.

If you're not comfortable tweaking that one, you can find lots of recipes by just Googling "Chocolate Pecan Pie Squares." I copied out this one, but there are tons more. I'd love to hear what you end up trying.

Chocolate pecan pie squares

Yield: 54 servings
    2 c Flour
    1¼ c Granulated sugar
    2 Sticks butter; cut-up, softened
    3 tb Butter, melted
    1 Egg
    3 tsp Vanilla extract
    6 oz Semisweet chocolate chips
    â c Light brown sugar, packed
    ½ c Heavy cream
    â c Light corn syrup
    3 c Pecans, chopped
    Recipe by: 365 Great Chocolate Desserts - ISBN 0-06-016537-5

Preparation Time: 1:05 1. Preheat oven to 350 F. To make crust, in a food processor, combine flour and 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Add 2 sticks softened butter and process until mixture is in fine crumbs. With machine on, add egg and 2 tsp vanilla through feed tube. Process just until dough leaves sides of bowl and masses together. 2. Press dough evenly over bottom of a foil-lined 10 x 15-inch jelly-roll pan. Bake 15 to 17 mins, or until just golden. 3. Remove from oven and sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips. Return to oven 1 to 2 mins to melt chips. Spread melted chocolate over crust. 4. In a large bowl, combine remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, cream, corn syrup, melted butter, and remaining 1 tsp vanilla. Mix well. Stir in pecans. Carefully spoon pecan topping over chocolate on crust. 5. Bake 25 to 30 mins, or until golden. Let cool in pan 1 hour before cutting into 54 squares.

• maureen_me
    17 years ago

That should be 1/2 CUP packed dark brown sugar in the first of those two recipes, obviously. Sorry, I guess my brain always filled in the missing part.

• jenn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for all the great recipes! They all sound worth trying even if they may not be the bar I bought.

I think the one that comes closest is the last one, Chocolate Pecan Pie Squares. Except for the jelly roll pan..... the bar I bought is taller than that.

You know, what keeps coming to mind is that the top layer reminds me of Ann_T's Graham Chewies.

Well I will need to experiment to see how close I can come to that goodie. Thanks again for sharing the recipes, I bet one of them will come close.

Jen

Sponsored
All Builders United
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Virginia Beach, VA