Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gluecille

RECIPE: Orange Juice Cake Recipe

gluecille
20 years ago

This cake is just too easy to make. I keep frozen OJ in the freezer and when I get some out to make a cake, I mix it like it says on the can, measure out enough for 1 cake and put it in freezer bags and then the next time all I have to do is get out the bag and let it thaw. One can makes several bags already measured out. You don't have to use frozen. Any OJ will work. Have been thinking of trying one with frozen lemonade.

Orange Juice Cake

1 pkg. butter recipe, yellow cake mix

1 c. orange juice

½ c. oil

1 sm. Pkg. vanilla pudding

4 eggs

½ c. or more nuts

Grease and flour bunt pan. (I donÂt flour mine just spray it with Pam) Pour nuts evenly over bottom of pan. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over nuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.

Glaze

1 c. sugar

1 stick of margarine

¼ c. orange juice

Stir all ingredients together; bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Pour over hot cake in pan. Let set for 30 minutes before removing from pan. (I put a little dab more O.J., I think it makes the cake even more moist).

Comments (18)

• Lisa_in_Germany
    20 years ago

This sounds nice and easy. I bet it would be really good with lemon juice and lemon pudding.
    Lisa

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Sounds good!

• gabriell_gw
    20 years ago

I baked this cake this afternoon and had a small slice while it was still warm.It is so moist and the flavor is devine.I poked holes with a toothpick before pouring glaze on and saved some glaze for the top after I turned it out.Will surely make it again!Thanks. Gabriell

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Do you use the instant pudding or the kind you cook?

• gluecille
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Ginger,
    It is instant pudding. I used French Vanilla once and it was really good. Thought about trying one with lemonaid and lemon pudding. Wonder if that would be good. I'm gonna try it soon and let you all know.

Gabriell, I'm so glad you enjoyed this. It's not a pretty cake but the taste sure makes up for the looks. The first time I took it for a holiday gathering at my inlaws no one touched it. Kinda hurt my feelings. They all ate the pretty cakes and desserts, you know the ones with the cool whip. Then one holiday for some strange reason I was the only one to bring a dessert that was homemade and guess what? There was none left. Now at the family gatherings it is the first to go.

I have tried this recipe with an off brand cake mix and the first one wasn't as moist as using the name brand. The next time I tried using a little more glaze when I poured it over the cake and let it sit for 30 minutes made it much better.

• gabriell_gw
    20 years ago

Gluecille,I don't know why you would think this cake is not pretty.I baked mine in a bundt pan and as I said poured some glaze on the top after I turned it out of the pan.It is a pretty color and sort of glistened from that glaze.Looks pretty to me! Gabriell Had a slice for breakfast.

• gluecille
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I think it is pretty but I guess when it is sitting beside everything that has frosting, cool whip sprinkled with nuts etc. it just kinda looks plain. My kids love it. They beg me to make it for every occasion.

I also make it when a friend or friend's family passes away and take it to them. One time I had to leave it sitting beside someone's door and I was really worried that some animal would discover it before they did.

Besides the great taste, I like it because it is so easy to make and not that many different ingredients.

• Ilene29
    20 years ago

I will have to try this. It sounds good.
    Ilene

• teri2
    20 years ago

This is my kind of cake! Minimal ingredients. Plus, I usually scrape off frostings anyway. For me, the cake is the thing.

Teri

• annie1992
    20 years ago

gluecille, this sounds very good and easy. I've copied the recipe for my file and I'll make it soon, I've been looking for something new....

Annie

• compumom
    20 years ago

I have a lemon cake recipe that has a great flavor due to the "glaze". I would be tempted to try glazing this cake with the same method. Unmold the cake after 20 minutes. Poke 50 little holes in the cake with a wooden skewer. Then brush the warm glaze onto the cake until there's no more left. Wrap the cake in foil and freeze for 18-24 hours (or more if you want) then defrost and serve. It's moist and delicious!

• richmondred13_verizon_net
    13 years ago

I have no clue why this is doing it but I'm dying to make this; however, I need a little help here.

Under the cake's ingredients, I need the amount of oil and nuts.
    Under the glaze's ingredients, I need the orange juice amount.
    There's some type of funky symbol only on the above quantity of ingredients. I'd be so grateful if someone would be kind enough to help me with the correct measurements. Have a good one and thanks again!

By the way, I'm definitely going to make the lemonade cake like y'all have talked about. Stay tuned; I'll let you know how it turns out! :- )

• stuartwanda
    13 years ago

I'm having the same problem with the amount of ingrediants.
    Can someone help?

• momj47
    13 years ago

Looks like it's 1/2 cup of oil, 1/2 cup nuts and 1/2 cup OJ.

Looks good, I'm going to have to make it for the grandkids.

Here is a link that might be useful: recipe

• Jaktup
    12 years ago

I'm going to have to try this one. I went to NASA in Florida last Spring and they made cake for dessert out of (wait for it) Tang! Does anyone remember that? I didn't know they even made it anymore. Anyway, it was my first orange flavored cake and I have to admit sneaking back for a second piece while the astronaut was answering questions.

• ocnick
    12 years ago

I will be making this, this weekend!

• idrive
    12 years ago

oh wow, my mouth is watering

• pink_warm_mama_1
    11 years ago

Wonder if it would be as good without the nuts.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville