3/4 c sugar
3/4 c honey
1/2 c milk
Almond Glaze
1 c confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp rum
1-2T water
Sift together spices, salt, flour, and baking powder. Stir in the almonds and lemon rind. In a separate bowl beat the eggs and sugar until a ribbon forms when the beater is removed. Stir in the honey and milk. Gradually stir in the flour mixture and beat until smooth. Spread the batter in an 11x17" greased jelly roll pan. Bake in a preheated 400 oven for12-15 minutes until the cake is done. While still warm turn the cake out onto a rack. Mix the confectioner's sugar, almond extrac, rum and water. Beat until it is smooth and of a glaze consistency, adding more water if necessary. Spread on warm cake. Cut into bars while still warm.
Yields: 2-3 dozen.
RL`

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Lebkuchen Bars

Oh, boy that will be perfect at Christmas. It shouldn't matter much leaving out the rum, would it? Even though the pan is greased, does it still turn out of the pan easily or do you think parchment might be a good idea?

o

No, it probably won't hurt to leave out the rum but here, my husband would prefer more than the 1 tsp.
I've never had any problem with turning them out of the pan but then mine are teflon coated. Have never used parchment but if you want to, sure - go for it.
We really enjoyed our time in Europe and I brought back recipes of all of our favorite foods.
RL`

o

every year of my life, my mother has baked Lebkuchen. She swears they should be made a few weeks ahead, as they are best when they are a bit "Stale".

She adds citron and dried cherries. I think I like nothing added or some chopped pecans the best.

o

I like the ground almonds in this recipe but don't see why you couldn't use pecans.
RL`

o

I cant' fit my jelly roll pans in my oven here. Can I put this recipe in two 9 x 13 pans instead, do you think?
Lisa

o

Lisa, how about two 8 or 9" square pans. Two 9x13" ones might make them too thin.
RL`

o

I don't have any square pans, either. I'll come up with something. If I have to, I'll bake them in my mini muffin pans.
Lisa

o

Hey Lisa...they sell disposable pans at the commissary-- i'll get you some & give them to you Sunday(if I see you). They're real cheap... so don't worry about the $.

LeeAnn

o

I'm so glad to see this recipe posted. I lost mine in a move I guess. It came from my Aunt in Switzerland. It just made me sick to loose it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here