Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: About Ann's shortbreads

Posted by Lindac (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 15, 03 at 19:35

How long do they keep....is the breakage rate fairly low?...
I'm thinking of abandoning my traditional hazelnut biscotti as "kitchen gifts" in favor of these. I know there will be a lot of disappointed "scotti" lovers......but maybe something new is in order.
What do you all do for a "kitchen gift"....not the kind of basket of goodies thing...but the little take to a friend gift?
For years I have bought inexpensive glass jars and filled them with biscotti. Last year I made some compilations of music from my collection of Christmas CD's....and gave a jar of home made jelly....and a few said..."you didn't make biscotti this year?"....LOL!
I got the hint!
So.....what does everyone else do?
Linda C

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: About Ann's shortbreads

Linda, They keep well and they also freeze well. In fact if I make them for Christmas I have to freeze them or they will get devoured quickly. I would say that the breakage rate is pretty low.

o

I make English Toffee - it's fairly easy, one batch makes a lot, and everybody loves it.

Becky
Windsor, CA

o

I'm thinking of makinf Sylvia's peabut brittle -- like Becky, because it's easy to make a lot of and is delish.

Becky, how do you wrap your toffee for gifts?

o

I make spiced pecan halves and package them in baby food jars with fabric on the lids.

o

Rider, I just made a batch of that microwave brittle yesterday. This time I used pecan halves, roasted them first in the oven. Came out well. I am working on pushing the envelope of how much nuts I can cram in without the brittle falling apart, I'm up to 1 1/2 cups.

Linda, I usually make biscotti, and then include homemade jellies. I like the spiced pecan halves idea.

o

Sylvia, I assume I should use unsalted peanuts rather than salted?

o

I often give a couple of small loaves of quick bread with a fruit & nut cream cheese. Or a Christmas tin of dates stuffed with walnuts & rolled in sugar along with homemade Penuche , fudge or spiced nuts.

Just before Christmas Dunkin Donuts puts their ground coffee on sale @ 1/2 price & I usually buy a few to give wth my cookie trays.

Last year I gave fancy Sundae dishes with 4 different homemade ice cream toppings to all the kids' families.
This year the families are getting jars of 4 different chutneys--Renee's Plum Cranberry, Fresh Tomato, Christmas
Chutney & an Apple chutney ; along with a set of those short wide bladed spreading knives that I don't know the name of.

Diane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here