Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Caramel apples and easy caramel

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 20, 08 at 19:22

Once again its fall and my daughter is asking for caramel apples. I tried the unwrapping the Kraft caramels version but those to me dont have the right texture, or much flavor, for that matter. I have a good from-scratch caramel recipe but it takes literally hours from cooking the white sugar base on down. Anyone have a simpler recipe? I read somewhere that sweetened condensed milk make a good base for a caramel recipe but I dont know the details. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Caramel apples and easy caramel

I didn't try it but I might do so after seeing this recipe & the reviews.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apples

o

This looks like a good caramel. Its similar to my other recipe in that it takes a long cooking time with constant stirring (I need one of those automatic stirring thingies!). The sweetened condensed milk seems to cut 20 minutes off the time compared to my T&T recipe. Im still hoping to find something that does not take standing at the stove constantly. The reviewers often commented on how they walked away and a batch was ruined. (when it comes to candy "constant stirring" means constant stirring.)I could still do this one some day when I have a marathon cooking session planned anyway. Thanks! Keep em coming! We can all use a good caramel apple.

o

I forget where I got this recipe (I think the CF), but it is a good one for making caramels. Not sure how it would work for caramel apples, but the candies are good and so easy! Yes, a microwave!
Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: microwave caramels

o

ginger St. Thomas receipe is 1 I've used for more than 20 yrs. Only mine says to melt butter in heavy pan-I use my 4 qt Presto pressure cooker bottom for all candy very heavy pan, much less likely to burn. Anyway melt butter add sugar until disolved, add Karo mix & stir over med. heat until it starts to boil. Add the Eagle Brand milk slowly while stirring so it continues to boil (won't sugar this way) stir & cook to soft ball stage 238% remove from heat add vanilla (& nuts if making candy) This takes about 8-10 minutes If candy pour into buttered 8 in. square glass dish(I don't use metal pans as candy sometimes continues "cooking" especially toffee gets too dark. (I make 8-10 kinds of candy each xmas as gifts for friends) If making carmel apples twirl in carmel. This candy freezes well after you wrap the squares. It is not a hard carmel like Kraft. I tried several receipes & this is best!! So just change the directions & you will have a nice carmel, it is soft so you can get all the apples done- no worry it will set up too fast. If apples don't set up refrigerate until set.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here