Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthanna_gw

RECIPE: Easy Apple Cake

ruthanna_gw
20 years ago

I am not a good baker but this recipe is easy and doesnÂt require an electric mixer.

APPLE CAKE

4 cup peeled and chopped apples

2 cups sugar

1/ 2 cup raisins

1 tsp. cinnamon (or 3/ 4 tsp. cinnamon and 1/ 4 tsp. nutmeg)

2 cups flour

1 tsp. salt

1 1/ 2 tsp. baking soda

2 eggs

3/ 4 cup vegetable oil

1 1/ 2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 cup chopped nuts

Mix together apples, raisins, sugar and cinnamon (and nutmeg, if used) in a large bowl and stir thoroughly. Let this mixture sit for one hour, stirring occasionally. Juice will begin to form  do not drain off. Meanwhile, mix together flour, salt, and baking powder in a separate bowl. Grease and flour a 9 X 13 pan.

After the apples have marinated for an hour, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together the eggs, oil and vanilla and add to the apple mixture. Stir well, and then add the flour mixture. Mix well with a spoon and then add the nuts. Mix and pour into prepared pan.

Bake for about 45 minutes. Cool on a rack and cover and refrigerate any leftovers.

Source: Joan Brown

Notes: I like to substitute chopped dates for the raisins. Walnuts are the traditional nuts for this cake but I have used pecans or more often, omitted the nuts altogether.

Comments (19)

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

I'll have to save this one, too (and omit those raisins.) The type nuts I'll use depends on what's freshest looking here. Thanks, Ruthanna!

• Lisa_in_Germany
    20 years ago

I have to save this one, too. Looks like an easy one to throw together for the kids for after school.
    Lisa

• roselin32
    20 years ago

And Lisa, when you shell some more of those walnuts, you can use those too! LOL
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Yeah, those FREE walnuts.

• Lisa_in_Germany
    20 years ago

Hey you guys :P

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Here's another easy one to make with those FREE walnuts! LOL
    Apple Walnut Squares
    1/2c butter, softened
    1c sugar
    1 egg
    1c flour
    1/2tsp baking powder
    1/2tsp baking soda
    1/2tsp ground cinnamon
    1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
    3/4c walnuts
    In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar; add egg, Combine dry ingredients and gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir just until well combined. Stir in apples and walnuts.
    Pour into a greased 8" pan and bake at 350° for 35-40 min. or til tests done with toothpick. Cool on rack.
    RL`

• Lisa_in_Germany
    20 years ago

That can't be from Taste of Home. It doesnt' have one convenience product in it. Are you sure it doesnt' call for a cake mix or canned apples or something, Ros?
    Lisa

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Good, another manageable sized recipe. Thanks!

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Nope, Lisa-no boxes and no cans! And good recipes! Try it,you'll like it. LOL
    Actually, Ginger, the size was what first caught my eye-and I use FREE pecans instead of those walnuts that I'd have to pay for!
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

But, but, but I get free mangoes! Wanna trade?

• roselin32
    20 years ago

NO trade but I might be talked into sending you some pecans when the new crop comes in. Had a mango tree in Hawaii-GOD, what a mess if you didn't pick them up every day!
    RL`

• Lisa_in_Germany
    20 years ago

I'll send you some walnuts, but I am not shelling them. They'd never make it to the post office if I did.
    Lisa

• rider
    20 years ago

Ruthanna, I have a recipe for Quick Apple Cake, which is actually more like an instant apple pie - SO easy and only a few ingredients. Beth originally posted this - I've made it several times in a pinch and it always turns out delicous. It is a Latvian dessert.

Quick Apple Cake

1.5 sticks unsalted butter, cut in pieces
    3 large tar apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4" thick
    1 tsp fresh lemon juice
    3/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar
    2 tsp cinnamon
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 cup all-purpose flour

1) Preheat oven to 350. Generously butter 9.5 or 10 inch glass pie dish.

2) In medium skillet, cook butter over moderate heat until golden, about 10 minutes or longer. Watch to avoid burning. Pour butter into a bowl, leaving behind any solids.

3) While the butter is cooking, toss the apple slices in a bowl with the lemon juice. Stir in one teaspoon of the sugar, and the cinnamon. Spread the apples evenly in the prepared dish.

4) Stir 3/4 cup of the sugar into the browned butter. Gently stir in the eggs and then the flour, just til blended. Spread the batter evenly over the apples. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tsp of sugar over the top.

5) Bake the cake for about 50 minutes or until surface is golden and crusty. Transfer to wire rack to cool. Cut in wedges and serve warm or at room temp.

Browning the butter is the secret to the toasty flavor (tho you don't have to). Serve with vanilla ice cream or yogurt if desired.

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

That sounds good too but what are tar apples?

• Cindy_Mac
    20 years ago

Ann has an unbelievably buttery apple cake recipe. I've made it a few times and dh tells me it's authentic Italian.

Ann's recipe ... my pic.

Torta Di Mele Al Burro
    (Buttery Apple Cake)

Source: Savoring Italy by Michele Scicolone

1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    3 apples (Golden Delicious)* peeled, cored, and cut into slices 1/4 inch thick
    2/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 whole eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cups granulated sugar
    1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
    confectioners sugar

Preheat oven to 375°. Generously butter a 9-inch round cake pan. In a large frying pan over low heat, melt the butter. Pour 6 tablespoons of it into a small bowl or cup and set aside. Add the apple slices to the butter remaining in the frying pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.

In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, beat the whole eggs and egg yolk until blended. Add the 6 tablespoons melted butter, the vanilla, the granulated sugar, and the lemon zest. Stir in the flour mixture and the apples. Spoon into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.

Bake until the cake is browned, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Invert the cake onto a plate and lift off the pan, then invert the cake again onto the rack and let cool completely.

Just before serving, place confectioners sugar in a small sieve and dust the top of the cake.

* Cindy's notes: I've used Cortland or a combo of Cortland and Macintosh apples

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1496914}}

• rider
    20 years ago

Ginger, I grow them on Tar Beach. Hahahahaha

No, it's a typo. It should read "tart" apples. :-)

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Ah, ok. Thanks, Rider!

• ruthanna_gw
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Rider, browned butter is one of my favorite food groups. lol I just got another basket of apples so will try it this week. Thanks.

• danain
    20 years ago

this is one that has been in our family for years. We like it for Sunday breadfast because of the streusel topping.

Apple Cake

¾ cup butter
    1½ cup white sugar
    2 eggs; well beaten
    2¼ cup sifted flour
    1½ teaspoon baking soda
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ¾ cup cold strong coffee
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    3 cups apples; peeled and chopped
    ½ cup brown sugar
    ½ cup flour
    ¼ cup butter

Cream butter, sugar and eggs. Add flour, soda, salt, coffee and vanilla. Fold in apples. Pour into 9X13X2-inch baking pan that has been sprayed with Pam. Make a streusel topping: Mix brown sugar, ½ cup flour and ¼ cup butter until crumbly; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes. *If desired, add ½ chopped pecans or walnuts to streusel topping.

Marilyn

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?