Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jannie_gw

LOOKING for: My Ice Crean Flopped

jannie
16 years ago

I decided to make home-made vanilla ice cream today with my electric ice cream maker. I found a tasty recipe and let it churn for two hours. Yet it won't freeze. It's the consistency of yogurt. I used crushed ice and rock salt as per the machine's instructions. But it just won't firm up. I put the can of "yogurt" in the freezer two hours ago. I've been checking it every 15 minutes and turning the paddle with my hands. Is there any hope for this ice cream disaster? I promised my family a fancy dessert. Looks like I'll have to run out to the store and get a substitute dessert!

Comments (8)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Unless you put alcohol or salt into your ice cream...it will freeze!
    I suspect it's like a watched pot that won't boil...only this won't freeze.
    I would put it back into the freezer and add more ice and salt....add lots of salt to the ice....it will freeze!...Even Vodka will freeze if it gets cold enough.
    Linda C

• giftguru
    16 years ago

If your machine has two settings, always use the slowest one or you'll end up with Mr Whippy (and no-one wants that).

Don't overfill the machine or it won't freeze properly and you will cry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipes Recipes and more Recipes

• jannie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I give up. After two nights and two days,the ice cream is still not firm, though it did get a lot thicker. I took a taste, it was overly sweet and not creamy. I made it with evaporated and condensed milk. On top of that, I never boiled the eggs (pasteurized) it. So beside not tasting good,it could make someone sick. So I threw the mess out and started over. By the way, my ice cram maker is by Rival and it has only one speed. I tried again. Made another batch and was very careful with the crushed ice and salt mixture. I hope it comes out better. Oh, and I boiled the 4 eggs and used heavy cream-8 cups, and half the sugar of the first recipe. Wish me luck.

• pikecoe
    16 years ago

Janie, am I correct that you are using a churn that you put the ingredients in the container and this goes into a bucket or tub that you fill with ice and salt and then you turn a handle or if electric it churns it for you? Here is the recipe that I use.

Ice Cream
    6 eggs
    2 cups sugar
    1 can evaporated milk
    1 Tbsp vanilla if making vanilla
    whole milk to finish filling container to fill line.
    You can add fruit about 2 cups if you like to make fruit ice cream.

Beat the eggs and sugar until fluffy and sugar is mostly melted. Add the can evaporated milk and fruit if using fruit or vanilla if vanilla. Pour into the cannister and finish filling to fill line with whole milk. Put the dasher in and the lid on and put into your churn bucket. Put the top of the churn on and fasten down on the sides. fill the bucket with ice and pour about a cup of rock salt on top of the ice. Plug in your churn or start cranking if not electric. Keep adding ice during churning, adding another cup of salt after about 30 minutes. Electric churns will stop when ready. Non-electric churns, you will know when it is firm enough when it gets too hard to keep turning the crank.

• jannie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My electric ice cream maker has a large plastic bucket with a metal can inside and a churn inside that that turns when the unit is turned on. I used a second recipe I found, 8 cups of heavy cream, one cup sugar,tablespoon vanilla. I made my second batch today and it's freezing nicely. The outside edges are well frozen. I will stir it every three hours until the whole thing is frozen. I churned it for thirty minutwes, then transferred to my home freezer. My ice cream machine is by Rival, it has one speed only. I always say we learn by our mistakes.

• jannie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I left something out of the above recipe-I also added 4 egg yolks, which i whisked into 2 cups of the cream, then boiled and cooled. All the other ingredients are correct.

• pikecoe
    16 years ago

I don't understand, churning it for a little while and then having to put it in the freezer. When I make ice cream it gets hard right in the churn. After it is churned, you can cover it with a big towel to hold in the cold and let it ripen. Then eat it right out of the churn, then you can freeze leftovers in the freezer. Glenda

• lindac
    16 years ago

Wondering where you got the recipe...the one with the condensed milk and the evaporated milk? Too much sugar will also lower the freezing point.
    Linda C

Sponsored