Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lobotome_gw

LOOKING for: Eagle Brand Lemon Bars (No Cooking)

lobotome
14 years ago

I'm looking for a recipe my mom used to make all the time. I know what goes in it, but just don't know the fine details (measurements,timing).

There was a layer of graham crackers on the bottom of the casserole, then she'd put lemon juice into eagle brand milk, this created a custard type layer which she put on top of the graham crackers. She'd then put another layer of crackers on top, and top it off with a glaze of lemon juice and icing sugar. Then refrigerated. This made a very nice tart and sweet desert.

I can't seem to find this exact Eagle Brand (I believe) recipe anywhere. I've tried it, but my squares always seem to come out too wet or not tart enough.

Anyone here have this recipe? I think it's probably in an old version of Eagle recipes because I'm in my late 40's and mom used to make these when I was a kid.

Comments (12)

• craftyshe
    14 years ago

~*~NO BAKE LEMON BARS WITH FROSTING~*~

1 c. butter
    1/2 c. milk
    1 c. sugar
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    1 c. chopped nuts
    1 c. coconut
    1 c. graham cracker crumbs

Line bottom of 9 x 13 inch pan with graham crackers. Melt butter, add milk, egg, and sugar; cook over low heat on top of stove until slightly thickened. Add nuts, coconut, and crumbs. Pour over crackers and cover with another layer of graham crackers. Frost.

FROSTING:

Mix 2 cups confectioners sugar with 3 tablespoons butter. Add lemon juice to consistency desired, frost bars, chill 24 hours. Makes 36 bars.

• Nancy
    14 years ago

I tried a recipe recently for lemon bars that had Eagle Brand milk in them, but they were more like a pie in a bar form, good but a bit messy for eating. It was pretty much the same as their Lemon meringue pie recipe. Here is one I have been meaning to try, but not a no-bake recipe
    Lemon Cream
    Bars
    ½ cup butter, soft
    1 pouch oatmeal cookie mix
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1/3 cup lemon juice & zest
    Preheat oven to 350. Prepare an 8" pan. Cut the butter into the cookie mix. Stir in egg til crumbly, press half of mixture into pan, bake 15 min. Stir milk, lemon peel, & juice. Spread over crust. Crumble remaining mix on top. Bake 25 min. Refrigerate 30 min.

• lobotome
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for trying to help :) These recipes sound interesting, although alot more complicated than my mom's recipe.

I just found two recipes that are very very close to what my mom made, actually it could be the very same recipe with a few tweaks or omissions.

One calls for butter in the icing/lemon juice mixture, and I know my mom didn't make it with butter... hers was a glaze made of icing sugar and lemon juice

So I figured I would share the recipe(s) I finally found (one is in french... which my mom was) and the other is in english. So what I'll do is mix both recipes together and write in the differences between the both..

FILLING:
    1 can eagle brand milk
    1/4 c. lemon juice (mom always prefered to use real lemons for her squares)
    (French Recipe calls for 1/2 c. lemon juice and I think that one's probably the one mom used... was very lemony)

In a bowl combine both together (it will look runny at first but will thicken up)

Graham squares in one layer at bottom of a casserole dish you'll have to cut some graham crackers to fit (french recipe says to put a layer of wax paper with 2 edges overlapping the casserole so you can pull it all out easily)

Spread lemon mixture which should be thickened by now, on top of graham squares and then cover with another layer of graham crackers (French recipe does 2 OR 3 layers... mom always did 2 layers of graham, and english recipe calls for 2 layers)

GLAZE:
    (only the english recipe iced the top and the french one put a last layer of graham crackers (I want glaze ty lol) )
    English recipe calls for butter, but then they make more of a lemon icing instead of mom's glaze... soooo MOM's Glaze LOL! Put some Icing sugar in a bowl, add lemon juice until it becomes runny, yet thick enough to stick nicely and not disappear into the graham cracker layer. Cover Graham Cracker layer

Cover and let sit overnight in fridge (French recipe says 6 hours before serving)

I haven't tried this one, but it really sounds like mom's recipe. I will cross my fingers that I don't make it too runny again! I adjusted the recipe to fit what my mom did and added the differences for those here who prefer it the ways each of these recipe writers wrote it.

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

I went to the Eagle BrandMilk website & they have lots of bars most baked but no bars like these. They sound good. Yes if you get glaze too runny it will soak in instead of cover.

• stuartwanda
    14 years ago

I think your recipe should have 2 egg yolks in it.

Eagle Brand Pie

1 can E. B. condensed milk
    2 egg yolks
    1/2 c. lemon juice

Combine milk and eggs. Slowly add lemon juice.
    1 gramcracker pie crust

You can put it together like you mom did. Gramcracker, pie mixture then more Gramcrackers on top. Then you can put the glaze on top.

• lobotome
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nope, my recipe is not the lemon pie... I actually remember what my mom put in there, it was just the amounts that made them too runny. I would be leary of putting raw egg yolks in a non cooked desert, I also don't see how the yolk would have thickened the milk either, but then, how in the world would people expect lemon juice to thicken eaglebrand milk? The mysteries of deserts LOL!

I finally made some yesterday, and they've been sitting in the fridge overnight. While I was making them, the filling really did look alot thicker than my botched batches. I've poked them with a butter knife, and they seem fairly firm too... nothing like the botched batches I'd been so famous for. I can't wait for tonight when we really test them :D

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

You have a lot of willpower!! I have crossed out all my recipes with raw eggs in them(that don't get cooked) I've gotten sick from improperly cooked egg sand. from a local round headed fellow's fast food place. Not fun & I don't like runny eggs either. There is something in eggs that is a very good thickener, pudding is made with yolks. Used to be some breakfast drinks made with raw eggs, they were thick but I never had any, couldn't get pass the raw eggs(had friends that lived on farms & I had been in coops ugh) Anyway let us know how they panned out this time! I meant to tell you I usually add just a few grains of salt to powdered sugar glaze, with lemon might be OK but if a vanilla glaze I always can tell if they just used milk or water, van & p sugar. It "tastes" like p. sugar that "taste" is gone if you add just a bit of salt (like a small pinch between your fingers or less. Then you taste the flavor you added to the glaze . Don't know why that is so important but notice it a lot in people that make sugar cookies & decorate them for xmas. Ruins an otherwise excellent cookie for me.

• lobotome
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The squares were just like I remembered them! Very sweet, yet very "pucker power" as my kids would say when they were young. It's an odd combo that works, although I can't have more than one at a time. Don't tell though, but an hour later I go back and get another one, then another one.... you know what I mean.

I think I might just try the pinch of salt trick, I do that on my apple crumble topping, brings out the sweetness. I bet a pinch of salt would bring out the flavour of lemon really well.

So, the recipe was a great success. My 24 yr old son said so. I especially judge on my 24 yr old's reaction because this is something my mom would make especially for him when he was young, even though I'm the one who grew up with these squares LOL!

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Glad you had a "hit" I printed the recipe off so will have to try it. Probably after xmas as have to get making candy & cookies I make & give away each year!! Mom & I are both "lemon lovers" so this will be a good one. Thanks!

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    14 years ago

So, have you made a "Final" version? That has the right amounts? I'd like to try this, my daughter loves everything tart and lemony.

And is it Eagle sweetened CONDENSED milk or EVAPORATED milk?

• lobotome
    Original Author
    14 years ago

With all the Christmas preparations I've been trying to catch up on these days, I've not made any deserts. We've been subsiding on quick meals, food court meals and the odd chocolate bar to take care of the sweet tooth LOL! So, no I haven't tried the pinch of salt trick yet.

Linnea, I use the Sweetened milk for this recipe. I followed the recipe that I wrote up there, mixing both recipes I found to reflect the one closest to what my mom used to make. It turned out great, and am due to make another batch... I think maybe for new years would be nice. We need some pucker power to kiss everyone Happy New Years afterall LOL!

• CIndyDee
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting the recipe lobotome -- my mom used to make this all the time and she was unavailable to give the correct measurements. We used to put whipped cream (probably cool whip) on top of the final graham cracker layer -- it was a nice complement to the tart and sweetness of the bar.