Posted by Jenn (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 28, 04 at 13:43

My grandmother made these every year.

1-1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup water
1 tsp. grated orange peel
2 cups walnut halves

Combine sugar, OJ, water; cook to softball stage (234).

Remove from heat; add walnuts and orange peel. Mix until syrup becomes cloudy and hard to stir.

Quickly turn out onto waxed paper or buttered cookie sheet. Separate into clusters with two forks.

Makes 3 cups.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Oranged Walnuts

Think this would work with pecans? It sounds great.

o

Sure, why not? :-) I can still "taste" them and I haven't had them in many years. I remember them from my childhood.

If you try them with pecans, I'd like to know what you think.

Jen

o

Mmmm sounds easy and wonderful.
I'm going to make them as tidbits at my Cookie Exchange party on Dec 10.
I always have pecans in the freezer...But I need to get walnuts for baking too.
Maybe even almonds.
Mmmmmmmmmm I love nuts....

o

Terri, I hope you have a very successful party. I'd love to hear how the nuts work out.

Jen

o

Jen,
Thought I'd let you know that I made these last week, they're all gone now, and they are getting rave reviews. Thanks for sharing the recipe. These are going on my "to make every year" Christmas cookie list.

-Janet

o

Oh Janet, I'm so happy to hear that. I was just thinking about them again this morning. My grandmother made them many years ago and I'm thrilled to know you like them that much. Thanks for letting me know. I'll pass that on to my mother. :-)

Jen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here