Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

RECIPE: More cookie recipes

jenn
19 years ago

I haven't tried all of these, but they all come from very reliable sources. I think they sound really good and I'm planning to make them for the holidays this year.

==============================

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

Source: The Best of Sunset Cookies

(A magazine-like book I bought at the grocery store just before Christmas last year)

About 16 bars

2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

1 large egg

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

1 teaspoon vanilla

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cups regular rolled oats

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, oil, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in egg, applesauce, and vanilla until well blended.

In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; stir or beat into butter mixture until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Stir in oats and chocolate chips.

Spread dough evenly in a lightly oiled 8-inch square baking pan. Sprinkle top evenly with granulated sugar.

Bake in a 350 oven until pale golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool on a rack about 10 minutes, then cut into 1- by 4-inch bars. Let cool completely.

NOTE: I bet these would be equally good with cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top.

I just ran across this recipe clipping in my pile of recipes last month.

Beatles

Source: The Food section of The Los Angeles Times sometime in the mid-80s.

5 dozen cookies

3/4 cup butter

Sugar

3 eggs

5-1/4 cups flour

3/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 tablespoon baking powder (yes, that's 1 TABLESPOON)

1-1/2 cups sour cream

1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla

1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Cream butter and 2-1/4 cups sugar by beating in bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time and beat well.

Sift flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder together in large bowl. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture little at a time, alternating with sour cream. Add vanilla and fold in chocolate pieces. Drop by heaping teaspoons onto greased baking sheet. Combine 2/3 cup sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on each cookie. Bake at 375 degrees 12 minutes.

Cranberry Lemon Cookies

A wonderful cookie I discovered at Gail's Recipe Swap. It is now one of the "must have" cookies in our family at Christmas time. They freeze well, but you should thaw them before you frost them.

1/2 C butter

1/2 C sugar

1/3 C brown sugar

1/2 tsp. lemon zest

1 egg

2 tsp. vanilla

1 C flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1-1/2 C chopped pecans (I use walnuts)

1-1/2 C chopped fresh cranberries

Cream butter, sugars, and lemon zest. Beat in egg and vanilla.

Combine flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Gradually beat into butter mixture. Stir in nuts and cranberries.

Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden. Let cool slightly before removing to cooling racks. Frost when cool.

ICING:Â Â Whisk together 1 C confectioner's (powdered) sugar, 2 Tbsp milk, and 1/4 tsp. lemon zest.

Molasses Butterballs

Source: Country Woman Magazine, Mar/Apr 2001. Submitted to the magazine by Zelda Halloran.

4-1/2 dozen

1 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)

1/4 cup light molasses

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp. salt

2 cups chopped walnuts

Confectioner's (powdered) sugar

In bowl, cream butter and molasses. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in walnuts. Roll into 1 inch balls. Place 1 inch apart on greased pan. Bake at 350° 15 minutes or until set. Remove to racks to cool. Roll cooled cookies in confectioner's sugar.

Hope you enjoy!

Jen

Comments (19)

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks, Jen! Haven't seen a Sunset magazine in a long time but remember they had some good recipes.

• jenn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You're welcome, Ginger! I made several recipes from that magazine (actually it was bound more like a book with a flat binding but it is soft-cover) and they were all very good. I am thankful I saw it because when I went back the following week to get another one for a gift, they were all gone.

Jen

• notenoughroses
    19 years ago

I have the cranberry lemon cookies in the oven as I type. If they taste half as good baked as they did raw, then they will be wonderful! Thanks for sharing these recipes. ~ Suzie

• roselin32
    19 years ago

Jenn, how many cookies will the Lemon Cranberry Cookie recipe make? I want to make them for the Techies but need to know if I have to double the recipe. I usually take at least 6 dozen.
    TIA.
    RL`

• jenn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Suzie -- LOL! Let me know how you like them.

RL - I compared the amounts of ingredients with the Beatles recipe above (which makes 5 dozen) and the Lemon Cranberry recipe yields much less dough, possibly 3 dozen. I'd double it... you can always freeze the rest of the dough if it makes more than that. In fact, I'm positive I made a double batch in the past and there's no way that yielded 12 dozen so I think for sure you should double it.

Jen

• roselin32
    19 years ago

Thanks, Jen-sounds like a winner.
    These kids tell me that every batch of cookies I make are their favorites so............these are sure to be a hit.
    RL`

• jenn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You're welcome, RL. There are a lot of cookie monsters in my family and these are a big hit even among the guys.

• notenoughroses
    19 years ago

The lemon cranberry cookies are a hit at our house, though I didn't get around to icing them. I am sure the icing would be really, really good. I am planning on making them (iced!) for a luncheon on Tuesday, then again for our Christmas party. I think they will go over great - such an interesting combination of flavors - I don't recall ever eating anything with cranberries and lemons together before.
    Um, I didn't get very many out of the recipe. I think I made them too big. Got, maybe, 18 or so cookies about 3 inches across when they melted down. I would make them smaller next time. ~ Suzie

• jenn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Suzie, the cookies I've made were at most 2 inches across, if that. Next time, just make them smaller... and make a double batch. :-) I'm glad everyone likes them.

I have to add a note about the Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars I posted at the top. I made these yesterday for the first time. I baked them in a glass pan which usually requires a lower temperature but I baked them at 350 as the recipe suggests. After 15 minutes they looked light golden brown so I removed them. After they had cooled a while, I took one out to eat it and it didn't seem done, so I put it back in for another 10 minutes. About an hour or so later, I tried them again and they still seemed a little moist but they tasted good. This morning, I ate one and it seemed done. Since the recipe says "let cool completely", I guess it means what it says, LOL. I think it is much better the next day after it is cooled completely. This is a very chewy bar and great with a glass of cold milk.

Jen

• MommySF
    19 years ago

I just took the lemon cranberry cookies to a meeting. One gentleman actually stopped the meeting to find out who made the cookies because they were "The best cookie I have ever eaten." Those are wonderful cookies and really easy to make.

• jenn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

MommySF - it is a great cookie, isn't it?

Did you use pecans or walnuts? I may use pecans this year.

Jen

• MommySF
    19 years ago

I used pecans and I used slightly less than the recipe called for, but that is just me.

I am really into baking this year. We just moved into a new house and I have a double oven. The top one is a convection oven. I can do three cookie sheets worth of cookies at a time and they all cook perfectly. So I will probably make them again for my family reunion this weekend.

Thanks again for the recipe.

• jenn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks MommySF. How many cookies did you end up with? They're on my list to make again this year and I want to make enough but not overdo it. On the other hand, is there such a thing as too many cookies???? :-)

• MommySF
    19 years ago

I made them pretty small. I used a medium size melon baller to measure the dough so they were all about the same. I got a few shy of 4 dozen.

No there is no such thing as too many cookies.

• jenn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks. That's a great idea to use a melon baller.

• jane__ny
    19 years ago

Can you use dried cranberries? I have a bag in the kitchen and want to try those cookies. Jane

• jenn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Jane, someone wrote to me and asked the same thing. I haven't tried that, but I ran across a recipe from a Sunset magazine that is similar, but with orange instead of lemon and with dried cranberries. The recipe was the winner of a Sunset cookie bake-off contest so it must be very good. Dried cranberries are good in muffins, so why not cookies. I doubt it would spoil the taste at all. If you try it please let us know how they turn out.

Jen

• jane__ny
    19 years ago

Thank you Jenn for the most delicious cookie receipe. I never iced them and made them with dried cranberries and they went so fast. I got so many requests for the receipe. They are really delicious. Thanks again, Jane

• jenn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You're welcome, Jane! (About 11 months late!) :-)

Jen

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida