Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

LOOKING for: Spice cake

jenn
17 years ago

Hubby wants a spice cake for his birthday. Does anyone have a T&T, to-die-for spice cake recipe to share? He does not like raisins... I can omit them but they should not be a primary ingredient.

Thanks!

Jen

Comments (9)

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Check out the thread below previously posted here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spice cake

• jenn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Ginger, I searched (honest, I did!) but no threads came up though I could swear I had seen one...... and obviously I had.

thanks again!
    Jen

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Just put quotation marks around "spice cake" when you search. I think that's what I did.

• jane__ny
    17 years ago

My mom (gone 21 yrs) used to make a spice cake which was lighter, not like a pound cake. It was square and she always served it warm with a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
    Boy, did this thread bring back memories.
    Jane

• lisbet
    17 years ago

Spanish Bar
    Dry Ingredients:
    2½ cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    ½ teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    ¼ teaspoon ginger
    ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
    (don't miss a chance to use freshly grated nutmeg. Completely different taste, for sure.)
    Sift all those things together and set aside.

Next Ingredients:
    ½ cup butter
    ¼ cup solid shortening
    1½ cups sugar
    2 large eggs, beaten
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup chunky applesauce, homemade is best
    1 cup plump raisins
    Optional: 1½ cup rough cut toasted walnuts

Use a mixer, cream the butter, shortening, and add eggs.
    Blend well, then turn to low speed. Add vanilla and applesauce. Add raisins. Keep the mixer at low speed and start adding dry ingredients. Don't overmix. Just make sure the flour is all in, then stop mixing!

Pour into the pan, bake in the middle of oven for approximately 45 minutes; until center tests done.

Leave in pan and frost, or make bars. (They used to call it Spanish Bar Cake in the old A&P days.)
    (PS....leave the raisins out if you don't like them.)

Use any frosting you like; cream cheese style works well.
    Blend an 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened with:
    4 tablespoons butter
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2¼ cup confectioners' sugar
    1/3 cup milk
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    Beat well, add milk if necessary to be smooth and pretty. Frost cake. Make squiggles with a fork to design top.

• posie4u
    17 years ago

I sometimes just make some additions to a DH spice cake mix - 4 eggs rather than 3, milk rather than water, about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and about 1/4 teaspoon cardamom.

• jenn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Ginger - I thought I did put quotes round it.... I almost always do, but maybe I didn't this time. Thanks for pointing me to the other link.

Jane - that sounds delicious, topped with whipped cream.

Lisbet - that sounds delicious. To make bars, do you do anything other than leave the frosting off?

Posie4u - I wish I saw your post before this evening. Rushed for time, I ended up using a DH spice cake mix but didn't alter it at all. Why didn't I think to add milk instead of water???? I did make a caramel frosting from scratch from the Fanny Farmer Cookbook because the spice cake recipe in that book recommends this icing. It's delicious!

Quick Caramel Frosting
    Source: The Fanny Farmer Cookbook

1/4 pound butter (1/2 cup)
    1/2 cup dark-brown sugar (I used light)
    1/4 cup milk
    2 cups confectioner's (powdered) sugar

Melt the butter and brown sugar in a heavy-bottomed pan, stirring over moderate heat until the sugar is dissolved. Add the milk and blend. Cool, then beat in the confectioner's sugar until thick enough to spread. You will have enough to fill and frost an 8- or 9-inch two-layer cake. (NOTE: It covered a 9x13-inch cake.)

Oh -- I added a capful of good vanilla extract to the mix before I added the confectioner's sugar -- that's not included in the original recipe, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to add a little bit.

Jen

• lisbet
    17 years ago

Can be frosted in the pan before cutting (or even after cutting) or leave plain, just dust with some confectioners' sugar. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream?

• khandi
    17 years ago

This recipe is tried and true. Delicious!

Applesauce Spice Cake

2½ cups all-purpose flour
    1½ tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    ¾ tsp ground nutmeg
    ½ tsp ground cloves
    ¼ tsp baking powder
    ½ cup butter or margarine
    2 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    1 (16 oz) can applesauce
    ¾ cup raisins
    ½ cup chopped nuts

Set oven to 350 degrees F

Grease and lightly flour a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking pan. Combine first 7 ingredients. In mixer bowl, beat butter with electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat till well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating 1 minute after each. Add dry ingredients and applesauce alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition. Stir in raisins and nuts. Turn into pan.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or till done. Cool on a wire rack. Serves 12 to 15.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!