Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Gingerbread Men Recipe

Posted by msubobcat (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 6, 08 at 11:29

To all holiday cookie bakers: Does anyone have a good recipe for cut out gingerbread men? The recipes I have all result in a cookie that raises or puffs up too much to decorate or frost properly. Are there any recipes out there that produce a flatter cookie, easier to decorate and nicer to display? I'd also like to use the same recipe for Halloween cut out cookies for my childrens' parties.

Thanks, in advance, to all you fantastic cookie bakers out there!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Gingerbread Men Recipe

I've had good luck with this one. Read the introduction, too. It might be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gingerbread Men

o

Thank you Ginger. The link is great and the Gingerbread Man recipe sounds very delicious. I'm going to give it a test run this week-end and try out my Halloween cookies. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Rae

o

Good luck. Bookmark that site. They have some amazing recipes.

o

Here's the recipe I use
1/2 cup shortening ( crisco)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup molasses ( I like dark...but light works)
1/4 cup cold coffee
2 1/2 cups AP flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Cream shortening and sugar, add eggs and liquids and mix.
Sift 1 cup of the flour with the salt and spices (or stir together) and add that to the shortening/ sugar egg mix....and add as much of the remaining flour as needed to make a stiff dough capable of being rolled out.
Chill, roll and cut out and bake on parchment at 375 about 8 to 10 minutes.
Notice there is no leavening....and there is crisco instead of butter. The cookies bake up very crisp....good for dunking....and great for gingerbread men....and small houses. This is not a tender "melt in your mouth cookie"...but delicious!
You may also want to add more spices, if you like a spicy gingerbread man!...don't take me wrong here! LOL!
Linda C

o

Thanks, LindaC! I'm going to try your recipe, too! I'm looking for a crisp type cookie! Yum!
So sorry for my late reponse...been in Montana and just got back. B'rrrr. Thanks again!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here