Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fritzgarden

LOOKING for: light flaky pastry flour pie crust

fritzgarden (7a)
16 years ago

I've been experimenting with pastry flour pie crust.

So far with mixed results. Usually it comes up a bit to wet.

I've been using 2 1/4c pastry, 1/3 c water, 1/3c shortening, 1/3c butter and 1/4 tsp salt. The cold stuff is cold.

I pulse in a Bosch mixer a couple of times until I get the little nuggets.

Pull it together in a 1" think 6-8" diameter disc, then wrap in parchment and freeze for 15 mins or so.

I've also tried a variation with crushed frozen walnuts as a partial substitute for some of the fat, for apple pies.

Ideas welcome

Comments (8)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Try using half all purpose flour...2 cups flour total with 1/4 tsp salt...and 1/3 cup butter and 1/3 cup shortening...
    Pulse until well blended, then dump into a bowl and add ice water one tablespoon at a time while tossing with a fork. You will need about 6 to 7 tablespoons of water.
    As with most things with flour, the amount of flour to liquid can't be measured precisely...it depends on the humidity, where the flour was grown etc. The proper amount of water to add to a short pie crust is best determined by how the dough feels. It should just come together...any more water and you risk pasty crust.
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Just add ice water a tablespoon at a time until it just comes together when you squeeze a bit of it in your fingers. You can always add more but you can't remove it if you use too much.

• jannie
    16 years ago

Do you use a hand pastry cutter? That's the way I was taught and my pie crusts come out flaky golden and tasty. Also the water must be ICE COLD.

• giftguru
    16 years ago

Hey, I just had a revelation with pie crust. I must share the joy....
    Momma's Pie Crust...try a teaspoon of apple cider.
    You can see how it turned out on my page , there is a pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taste E Treats

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Fritzgarden,

Are you adding everything in the mixer all at one time? When making a pastry crust it's important that the flour & fats get combine just until their just slightly smaller than pea size. During the baking process it's those fat pockets that create the flaky crusts.

After I measure out the fats, I place them in the freezer 10 minutes, then I take a cup of water to which I've added ice. When ready, I'll measure out the ice water.

Mix together:the flour, salt,shortening & butter mix until the mixture resembles peas size. Slowly add the water, as soon as comes together remove from the mixer. Gather it together,then make your disk, place that in refrigerator, it's important that this pastry rest 30 to 60 minutes, it's also very important that the fats get cold once again, before rolling out to ensure a flaky crust.

• lucyny
    16 years ago

I have a KA mixer w/the metal bowl, & forgot to mention that there's a little trick I learned many years ago which is: Starting w/very very cold ingredients is the key, while I've place the fats in the freezer for 10 minutes, I place the measured flour in the metal bowl, along with the beater & refrigerate at the same time, then follow through w/directions.

Lucy

• fritzgarden (7a)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mix together:the flour, salt,shortening & butter mix until the mixture resembles peas size. Slowly add the water, as soon as comes together remove from the mixer. Gather it together,then make your disk, place that in refrigerator, it's important that this pastry rest 30 to 60 minutes, it's also very important that the fats get cold once again, before rolling out to ensure a flaky crust.

that's pretty much my method, except that I don't "re-chill" the fats after measuring because they're already pretty cold., but maybe I'll give that a go.
    And I put the disc in the freezer for around 15-30mins.

Always worked well with AP flour, but I like the taste of pastry better, if I can just get the combo correct.
    I must be getting over anxious with the water.

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Fritzgarden,
    Being over anxious with the water is a problem, slow down :-) Literally when adding the water take it easy after the 5th tablespoon. I measure out the tablespoonfuls of water as indicated into a small measure cup w/a spout, & slowly add the water, as soon as it comes together, Stop...then proceed w/making the disk w/o overworking it, the heat from your hands can & will effect the dough if handle too much.

No need to freeze, more importantly it needs to rest & be chilled.

Lucy