Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danain

RECIPE: That time of year: Pumpkin Bread

danain
21 years ago

Of all the sweet breads this and apple bread are our favorites.

GrandmaÂs Pumpkin Bread

1 cup vegetable oil

4 eggs beaten

2/3 cup water

2 cups canned pumpkin

3 1/3 cups sifted flour

1½ teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon nutmeg

1 teaspoon cinnamon

2 teaspoons baking soda

3 cups sugar

½ cup raisins (optional)

½ cup chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 3 loaf pans; I use 3 (1#) coffee cans sprayed with Pam. Combine oil, eggs, water and pumpkin. Sift together flour, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, soda and sugar. Make a well in center, add pumpkin mixture and blend until moist. Stir in raisins and pecans. Bake about 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool on racks for 10 minutes. Slide out of cans and immediately wrap in plastic wrap and cool completely. This make the outside moist instead of dry.

Marilyn

Comments (16)

• ann_t
    21 years ago

Marilyn,

This recipe is almost identical to the one that I make, except mine didn't call for Raisins and has 2 teaspoons of cinnamon instead of one.

I initially made it with the pecans and then tried it with chocolate chips and pecans before settling on just chocolate chips. Even those that say they do not like pumpkin change their minds after tasting this loaf with the pumpkin and chocolate.

Ann.

• danain
    Original Author
    21 years ago

I never considered chocolate! I never add the nuts or raisins, I like the plain version. Paul loves chocolate so I can't wait to try it that way!

Marilyn

• ann_t
    21 years ago

Marilyn,

Because the recipe makes three loaves, you can pour some of the plain batter into a loaf pan or can and then add the chocolate chips to the remaining batter. This way you can have some of both. I have actaully made three different loaves. One plain, one with chocolate only and one with chocolate and pecans. The chocolate still remains the favourite though so now I usually make all three with chocolate. I usually add two whole packages of chocolate chips.

Ann.

• rider
    20 years ago

I'm ressurecting this thread from the dead. Just made Grandma's Pumpkin Bread (I used 2 loaf pans, not coffee cans) and they turned out truly wonderful.

Only changes I made was to use coconut oil instead of veg. oil. I also added a cup of jumbo yellow raisins. So moist and a perfectly even consistency throughout.

I will try it with chocolate another time.

• glenda_al
    20 years ago

Mine has been made and ALL GONE!! My recipe is almost identical, except I make two loaf pans.

No raisins or nuts.

• Ilene29
    20 years ago

I will be making this today and Ann the chocolate chips sounds good. I will be useing the coffee can.
    Ilene

• Ilene29
    20 years ago

Marilyn,
    I made the Pumpkin bread this morning and have another batch in the oven and it is really good and most. The second batch i put chocolate chips in.
    Ilene

• danain
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Ilene and Rider I'm so glad you liked it and my Grandma (rest her soul) would have a big smile on her face!

Mar

• caliloo
    20 years ago

I make a very similar recipe also, but instead of chocolate chips, I use cinnamon chips. I will give the chocolate chips a try next time, that sounds great!

Alexa

• jenn
    20 years ago

I bought the ingredients to make this over the Thanksgiving weekend. But I'm going to make 1 or 2 regular loaves and use the rest of the batter in miniature loaf pans.

How would you suggest I adjust baking time? Bake for 30 minutes and then test? This always stumps me.

Jen

• ann_t
    20 years ago

Jen, It depends on the size of the mini loaf pans. I have two sizes of minis. One of them bakes in just under 30 minutes and the other takes between 40 to 45.

Ann

• jenn
    20 years ago

Thanks, Ann. My small pans are the foil type and measure about 5-1/2 x 3-1/4 x 2 inches. I was thinking of giving them to some neighbors but a large loaf would be too big for some of them.

Jen

• Cindy_Mac
    20 years ago

Jenn, I usually reduce a given time by 20 minutes for the small loaf pans (5 3/4 x 3 1/4) and 30 minutes for the minis (5 1/4 x 2 5/8).

• ann_t
    20 years ago

You're welcome Jen.

Ann

• jenn
    20 years ago

Thanks Cindy, that's very helpful too.

I just finished preparing a sweet potato casserole for tomorrow and now I'm too pooped to bake any bread. Maybe tomorrow morning.

Thanks again,
    Jen

• jenn
    20 years ago

On Thanksgiving morning, I baked 7 small loaves with the oven set at 350° for about 45 minutes. First, I set the timer for 30 minutes. Nope, not quite done (toothpick came out coated with moist batter). After another 10 minutes, almost done. Five more minutes, perfect!

I filled the pans about 2/3 full. One of them with a little less batter than the rest was done in 40 minutes. The others took 45.

I omitted the raisins and pecans but sprinkled chopped walnuts on top of each one before baking.

I wrapped the still-warm loaves in plastic wrap and placed them on a pretty glass platter and took them to Thanksgiving dinner so everyone could go home with one.

I didn't keep any for us, but I just got a call from my sister-in-law just to tell us they've already eaten their loaf and it was delicious!

I need to buy more oil, and then I'll make some for us.

Thanks again for your help Ann and Cindy.

Jen

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!