Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recipe: best chocolate cake ever!

Posted by chery2 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 31, 06 at 10:13

AND SO EASY! This recipe was in SIL's family cookbook; then I just ran across it in a TASTE OF HOME yearbook, 2002. We use it for family birthdays and other special occasions. (I just made it for a "Get-Well Cake" for DH following periodontal surgery.)

One thing...SIL's version is called "CHOCOLATE CHERRY BARS." But I consider "bars" something you can pick up and eat. These, you wouldn't even think about picking up -- too luscious!

CHOCOLATE CHERRY CAKE
1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp. almond extract [I used marischino cherry juice]
1 can [21 oz.] cherry pie filling [I use Lite]

MIX ALL THE ABOVE BY HAND W/ A WOODEN SPOON.
BAKE IN 15X10 PAN [I use 9x13] AT 350 18-22 MINUTES OR UNTIL TOOTHPICK INSERTED IN CENTER COMES OUT CLEAN.

WHILE IT'S BAKING, COMBINE IN A SAUCEPAN...

1 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk
5 Tablespoons butter
6 oz [1 cup] semisweet chocolate chips

COOK AND STIR UNTIL SUGAR DISSOLVES AND BUTTER MELTS.
BOIL FOR ONE MINUTE.
SET ASIDE UNTIL CAKE IS DONE.
PUNCH HOLES IN WARM CAKE, STIR TOPPING, THEN POUR EVENLY OVER WARM CAKE.

Now, the recipe says to cool completely before cutting. That's the only hard part! The warm cake topped with melted chocolate is impossible to resist.

But AFTER you yield to temptation, cover w/ no-stick foil and put in fridge. Almost as yummy cold.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN, EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!1

CHERY2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recipe: best chocolate cake ever!

I will have to try this one. I LOVE chocolate- especially in the form of cake! I used to win cake baking contests at the local county fair growing up and no one could understand how a pre-teen was winning the contests over the older bakers, but I will let my secret out- I always used higher quality chocolate than just chocolate chips. When a recipe calls for chocolate chips it is worth it to "upgrade" to a better quality chocolate. I have used the Bakers brand in the past but sometimes it can be too bitter for certain recipes. I'm going to try this recipe using the new Nestle Chocolatier chips (if you haven't tried them yet, they are DELICIOUS!!!) and see how it turns out. Thanks for a great recipe!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here