Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileen_launonen

LOOKING for: Amazing Cookie recipe...fancy cookies

eileen_launonen
20 years ago

Hey its almost the holiday baking season!!! Im trying to narrow down my 3 main cookie bakes for my cookie exchange. I do like to do a more fancy cookie but most of all taste is the utmost importance. I do like the cookie the be eye pleaseing too! Last years big hits were a rum creme filled cookie that was dipped in chocolate and rolled in chopped pistachio and the ther was a chcolate thumbprint rolled in pecan with a caramel center drizzeled with chocolate!

HELP I need to top last years...please share!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments (29)

• ann_t
    20 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here are a few that usually make it on to my cookie platters at Christmas.

Ann

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

{{gwi:1497345}}
    ===========

This is my favourite Shortbread cookie. One of those recipes that I have been making for over 25 years. It was a recipe given to my friend Patty by her Grandmother. She remembers it from her childhood.

300 degrees for 45 - 50 minutes
    1/2 c butter
    pinch salt
    pinch baking soda
    1/4 c fruit sugar
    1 c flour
    sugar to dredge
    . Mix together Flour, salt and baking soda.

Cream butter and fruit sugar. Add flour mixture and mix well.

Pat firmly into round cake pan. Use tines of fork to make a decorate edge
    around the outside of the dough. Now use fork to poke holes all over
    surface. (This stops the shortbread from rising up during baking.. Bake in
    low oven until just starting to colour. Should not brown.

Remove from oven and sprinkle with fine sugar. Let sit 5 minutes and then
    Cut into wedges while still warm. Do not remove shortbread wedges from pan
    until cool.

Note:

This recipe can be doubled and baked in a rectangle pan, and cut into
    fingers rather than wedges.

Peanut butter and chocolate cookie Tarts
    ========================================
    Dough

3/4 cup butter
    3/4 cup peanut butter smooth
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1 egg
    1 egg yolk
    2 tsp vanilla
    2 1/4 cups flour
    3/4 teaspoon baking soda

Chocolate filling

4 oz semisweet chocolate
    2 Tablespoons cocoa
    1/3 cup butter
    2 cups sifted Icing Sugar
    . Cream butter with peanut butter until very smooth. Beat in sugars. Beat in
    egg and yolk. Add vanilla. Sift flour with baking soda and mix well. Stir
    into butter mixture. Press balls of dough into well buttered mini muffin
    tins. Each ball of dough should be about 3/4's the size of the muffin tin -
    when you intent the centre it should form the shape of a pudgy little tart
    shell.

Bake in preheated 350F oven for 15 minutes or until ouside is baked but
    inside is still chewy. Do not over bake. Cool five minutes on rack and
    then remove from tins. Cool completely.

Filling

Combine chocolate, cocoa, milk and butter in small saucepan. Melt over low
    heat. Mix until smooth. Cool. Beat in icing sugar to give consistencey of
    icing. Pipe about 1 tablespoon of filling into each tart.

Note: YOu can spoon the filling in to the centre, but it looks nicer when
    piped.

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table - Cookies

Cream Cheese Brandy Cherry Balls.
    =================================
    Source: 1983 Oct/Nov. Entertainment and Recipe Booklet

1/2 Cup marshino cherries, quartered
    2 Tablespoons Brandy
    1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
    1 cup butterscotch chips
    1 package cream cheese
    2 cups mini marshmallows
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    2 Cups flaked coconut
    . Marinate cherries at least 4 hours or overnite in brandy Melt Chocolate
    chips and butterscotch chips and add cream cheese. Stir in cherries,
    marshmallows and walnuts and refrigerate until cold enough to roll into
    balls. Roll in coconut. Refrigerate. The longer the better. The flavours
    intensify.

Crisp Chocolate Truffles

These are really good. Here is a {{gwi:1497346}} of them from the Magazine.

========================

1 jar 7 oz marshmallow cream

2 T butter

1 C semi sweet chocolate chips

2 C Rice Krispies

14 oz bittersweet chocolate
    2 Tablespoons vegetable shortening

white chocolate chips.

In heavy saucepan combine marshmallow creme, butter and chocolate chips.
    Cook over low heat until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth, stirring
    constantly. Remove from heat.

Stir rice Krispies into hot mixture, mixing until thoroughly combined. Drop
    mixture by rounded meauring teaspoons onto waxed paper lined cookie sheet.
    Shape into round balls and Refrigerate about 1 hour or until firm.

Melt bittersweet chocolate with shortening and dip each chocolate ball in
    melted chocolate and place on waxed paper-lined cookie sheet. Melt white
    chocolate and place in zip lock bag. Cut tiny hole in corner of bag and
    drizzle white chocolate over truffles. Refrigerate until firm.

Place in small candy paper cups.

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

How about Marlen's Chubby Hubby Cookies?
    Chubby Hubby Cookies

2 cups butter or margarine, softened
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
    2 large eggs
    2 Tablespoon vanilla extract
    4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    Pinch of salt
    1 12 oz pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 12 oz pkg peanut butter chips
    1 cup salted peanuts
    2 cups crushed pretzels*

Preheat oven to 350* degrees. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Blend into creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate and peanut butter chips, peanuts and pretzels. Drop by heaping tablespoons about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. bake 10-13 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned and centers are still soft. Do not overbake. Cool one minute on cookie sheet. Cool completely on wire racks. Store tightly in covered container.
    Source: Bob Zotto, Bruker AXS Cookbook
    Note from Marlen: The pretzels should be about the size of the chocolate chips, not pulverized. You want to taste bits of pretzel as you munch. This is a crunchy cookie. I use a food processor and just pulse until the desired size is achieved.

These are pretty on a tray:
    MERRY MERINGUES (about 5 dozen)
    2 egg whites, room temperature
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp cream of tartar
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    1 cup chopped nuts
    3 TBL crushed peppermint candy

Preheat oven to 250° (NOT 350°). Lightly grease 2 or more baking sheets. Usin a mixer, beat the whites in a medium bowl until foamy. Add the salt & cream of tartar & continue beating until soft peaks form. Add the sugar, 1 TBL at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until the meringue is stiff. Fold in the vanilla, chocolate chips, nuts & candy.
    Drop by teaspoonfuls, 1/2" apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake 40 minutes. Remove to cake racks to cool.~~

KIEFLIES (about 6 dozen)
    Cookies:
    6 cups flour
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 lb butter
    12 egg yolks, whites reserved
    1 cup sour cream
    1 tsp vanilla

Filling:
    12 egg whites
    1 lb confectioners' sugar (3 1/2 cups) + more for sprinkling
    6 cups chopped nuts (1 1/2 lbs)

For Cookies: Mix the flour & salt together. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or 2 knives until completely blended. In a separate bowl, mix the yolks, sour cream & vanilla. Add to the flour/butter mixture. Blend & knead until the mixture is the consistency of pie dough. Form into small walnut sized balls. Refrigerate.
    For filling: Beat the egg whites until stiff. Add the sugr & beat well. Stir in the nuts. Refrigerate.
    To assemble: Take a few of the cookie balls from the refrigerator. Roll each ball into a thin circle on a well-floured surface. Place a heaping tsp of filling on each circle. Fold into a crescent shape & pinch the seams closed. Arrange on lightly greased cookie sheets & bake in a prehated 350° oven for 12 minutes. Cool & sprinkle w/confectioners' sugar.~~

FUDGE ECSTASIES (about 36)
    12 oz semisweet chocolate chips, divided
    Two 1 oz squares unsweetened chocolate
    2 TBL butter or margarine
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    Pinch of salt
    2 eggs
    2/3 cup sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup chopped nuts

In a medium sauceapn, heat 1 cup of the chocolate chips, the unsweetened chocolate & the butter until melted, stirring constantly. Pour into the large bowl & set aside to cool slightly.
    In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder & salt. Add the eggs, sugar & vanilla to the cooled chocolate mixture & beat well. Add the flour mixture & beat well. Add the flour mixture & beat thoroughly. Stir in the remaining chocolate birs & the nuts.
    Drop the batter by teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake in a prehated 350° oven for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are firm & the surface is dull & cracked. Cool 1 minutes before remooving from the sheets. (Use a thin-bladed spatula so the cookies don't break apart.) Place on wire racks to cool thoroughly.~~

• danain
    20 years ago

I like to make many different cookies at Christmas time but the one cookie that always looks great at that time of year is:

Spumoni Cookies

{{gwi:1497347}}

1 cup butter; softened
    ¾ cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 egg
    2¼ cups all-purpose flour
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ¼ cup chopped pistachio nuts
    6 drops green food color
    1 ounce unsweetened chocolate; melt & cool
    2 tablespoon finely chopped maraschino cherries
    ½ teaspoon almond extract

Mix butter, sugar, vanilla and egg. Stir in flour and salt. Divide dough into 3 equal parts. Mix nuts and food color into 1 part. Mix chocolate into 1 part. Mix cherries into remaining part. Line bottom and ends of a loaf pan (9X5X3-inch) with foil allowing ends of foil to extend 5-inches over each end of pan. Press nut dough evenly in bottom of pan (cover with plastic wrap and press and smooth dough). Press chocolate dough on nut dough and press cherry dough on chocolate dough. Cover dough with extended ends of foil and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.

Heat oven to 375°. Remove dough from pan and remove foil. Cut dough crosswise into ¼-inch slices and cut each slice crosswise into halves. Place about 1-inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet and bake until set, about 10 minutes. You may have to reshape cookies with your spatula while they are hot and still on the cookie sheet.

And Swedish Teacakes (Mexican Wedding Cakes) are always a hit, arranged on your best red, glass platter.

{{gwi:1497349}}

1 cup butter, softened
    ½ cup powdered sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    1 cup finely chopped nuts
    powdered sugar

In mixing bowl; cream butter, sugar and vanilla. Beat in salt, nuts and flour until dough holds together. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place 1-inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 325° for 15 to 20 minutes until set but not brown. Cool slightly, roll in powdered sugar. Cool completely; roll again in powdered sugar. Must use butter in this recipe. Nuts are required also. Makes about 4½ dozen. 2 measuring teaspoons leveled for each cookie makes the perfect size

Marilyn

• Cindy_Mac
    20 years ago

Ann, I may try the shortbreads this year. Couple questions ... fruit sugar is fructose and the fine sugar is granulated?

• ann_t
    20 years ago

Cindy, Fruit sugar is very finely ground granulated sugar. If I remember correctly it is sometimes called Berry Sugar in the US. If you can't find it, just process some regular granulated sugar in the processor. It should be fine, but not powdered. You can use either the Fruit/Berry Sugar or regular Granulated sugar to sprinkle on top.

Ann

• Cindy_Mac
    20 years ago

Ann, I'm glad I asked! I did a search at Cook's Thesaurus and Epicuious and would've been looking for fructose. I process granulated sugar in the blender when I make Anzac Biscuits, so I'll do the same for the shortbread. Thanks!

• roselin32
    20 years ago

I do believe that "fruit sugar" here in the US is fructose.
    I use it all the time and it is readily available in health food stores. It is a finer grain than regular sugar.
    RL`

• Cindy_Mac
    20 years ago

The main difference between the two is the degree of sweetness. Fructose is supposedly twice as sweet as granulated. So which should it be?

• roselin32
    20 years ago

I don't know what AT uses but yes, fructose is sweeter than sugar. Fructose also browns more than regular sugar but since you would only be baking it in a 300° it would be okay. On the other hand, if you don't want to go buy it, whirl the granulated sugar in the blender and go with that.
    RL`

• ann_t
    20 years ago

Cindy, as I mentioned, the fruit sugar that I buy is just very fine granulated sugar. If you can't find it either called fruit sugar or Berry Sugar then just process some granulated and make your own.

By the way, Shortbreads are not suppose to brown. They stay a very light Blonde colour.

Ann

• ann_t
    20 years ago

Cindy, Check out this link.

Sugar

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Or, do a Google search for Fructose.
    RL`

• ann_t
    20 years ago

Cindy, Having lived in both Canada and the United States I know that the sugar called for in this recipe is available in both countries. The sugar labeled "Fruit Sugar" that is sold in Canada for baking is a very fine granulated sugar. It is either called berry sugar or Caster/Castor sugar or super fine sugar in the US. I can't remember. I do know that I made Shortbreads when I lived in the US so you should be able to find it. Again, if you can't then just process some granulated sugar until it is a bit finer. I have done this in a pinch and believe me you won't notice a difference.

I know that you will not be disappointed if you make these shortbreads.

Ann

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Ann,
    I'm sure your cookies are good and that CM will enjoy them regardless of what sugar she chooses to use.
    RL`

• Cindy_Mac
    20 years ago

Ok y'all ... I wasn't trying to start something, just looking for clarification. But you can bet I'll be spending a little extra time in the sugar aisle next market visit. I'm curious to see what is offered around here.

• browntoestoo
    20 years ago

Cindy,

The is a big difference in how fructose and cane sugar act in baking. Here is a link that explains the difference in nomenclature between Canada and the US:

Types of Sugar

Castor Sugar

Type of sugar sold in parts of Europe and Australia
    In Canada, this type of sugar would be sold under the names "Super-fine Sugar", "Fruit Sugar", "Fruit Powder", "Powdered Sugar" or "Instant Dissolving Sugar" - any of these sugars can be used as a substitute in recipes listing castor sugar as an ingredient

C&H makes a product called "Baker's Sugar." It is an ultrafine granulated cane sugar. I have seen it at my local Safeway. This website lists places to buy it.

C&H Baker's Sugar

• Cindy_Mac
    20 years ago

Ok, so if this had been a recipe from the U.S. calling for fruit sugar I'd be shopping fructose (according to Cook's Thesaurus and Epicurious). Since it's Canadian I'm shopping super fine, or processing regular granulated in a blender to make superfine ... like I had planned to do in the first place. ;)

• Virginia7074
    20 years ago

I just finished a box of Bartender's sugar that I'd had for a long, long time. It's superfine granulated sugar that I used only for making sangria - that's why I'd had it forever. it sounds like that may be what's called fruit sugar in Canada. I think you find it in the baking section with the rest of the sugars, but the food processor should do fine. I do that with granulated sugar & vanilla bean seeds, for Vanilla Crescents with Pistachio Filling, which I'll post.

• Virginia7074
    20 years ago

This looks long, but it's really not. Use a food processor for everything. These are my DH's favorite - pretty for Christmas & St. Patrick's Day, too.

Vanilla Crescents with Pistachio Filling

Vanilla Sugar:
    3/4 c. sugar
    1 2" piece vanille bean, split & dried

Filling:
    8 oz. raw pistachios
    1 egg white
    1 drop vanilla extract
    1 drop almond extract

Dough:
    1/2 c. butter, chilled
    1-1/4 c. sifted flour
    1/3 c. sour cream
    1 egg yolk

Vanilla Sugar:
    Process 2 min. scraping sides every 30 seconds. (Can be made 3 days ahead - cover tightly to store.)

Glaze:
    1 egg yolk
    1 teaspoon water
    1 tablespoon vanilla sugar

Filling: Blanch pistachios 10 seconds. Drain. Refrigerate 3 hours. Peel skin. Sieve vanilla sugar. Mix filling ingredients with 2 tablespoons sugar. Process to a smooth paste. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead.)

Dough: Cut butter into flour in processor. Add sour cream and egg yolk.

To assemble: Preheat oven to 375. Line pans with foil & grease. (I use parchment paper.) Divide dough in half. Roll with 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar and sprinkle top and bottom with 2 more tablespoons vanilla sugar. Roll to a 12" circle and cut into 12 triangles. Put filling at base and roll up to form crescents. Bake 10-15 min. Remove & brush on glaze. Return to oven and bake 5 min. longer.
    Makes 24.
    Source: Bon Appetit, September 1985.

• eileen_launonen
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Wow all recipes look good I may try a few but I will make the Spumoni Cookies as that is my husbands favorite he always gets some when were in Brooklyn (Spumoni Gardens)

• teri2
    20 years ago

Marilyn - If you check back in to this thread - for the Spumoni Cookie recipe, does the almond extract go in the cherry dough?

Teri

• caliloo
    20 years ago

These are excellent and quite pretty on a plate.

Alexa

Holly Berry Cookies
    Servings: 12

Ingredients:
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup white sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup butter, chilled
    1 egg
    1/4 cup milk
    2/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
    2 cups confectioners' sugar
    2 tablespoons milk
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 cup cinnamon red hot candies
    4 drops green food coloring

Directions:
    1. In a large bowl combine the flour, white sugar, ground cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl beat the egg and 1/4 cup of milk. Add this to the crumb mixture until the dough is moistened. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
    2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    3. On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut with a 2 inch round cookie cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
    4. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Once cool spread jam on half of the cookies then top each with another cookie.
    5. To Make Glaze: Combine the confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla until smooth. Spread glaze over the cookie and decorate with red cinnamon candy before the glaze is set. Let dry. Using a small new paintbrush and green food coloring, paint holly leaves on cookies.

• caliloo
    20 years ago

Virginia

Where do you get raw pistachios? I've only seen them roasted in the shell.

Thanks
    Alexa

• Cindy_Mac
    20 years ago

Alexa, I order raw pistachios from Eagle Ranch in New Mexico.

• Virginia7074
    20 years ago

Indian grocery stores usually carry them. They're "pista" & used in Indian sweets, like pista burfi, which is fudge-like or pista kulfi, which is a very rich ice cream.

• caliloo
    20 years ago

Thansk Virginia and Cindy_Mac. I will be on the lookout for them the next time I am in the city.

Alexa

• eileen_launonen
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Marilyn are you out there?

• caliloo
    19 years ago

Since the holidays are getting closer, I thought I would bump this thread for anyone who is starting to plan cookie menus.

Alexa

• readinglady
    19 years ago

I know this thread has been bumped but for anyone interested in the Vanilla Crescents with Pistachio Filling, Trader Joe's carries raw pistachios very reasonably priced (if you're lucky enough to have a T.J.'s in your area).

I can't wait to try this great-sounding recipe.

Carol

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design