Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlsullivanct

RECIPE: Pear and Dried Cherry Clafouti

tlsullivanct
18 years ago

This was in a recent issue of Martha Stewart Living. I never heard of Clafouti and this peaked my curiousity so I thought I would try it. I love custard so I was eager to give it a try. Absolutely delicious and easy!

Pear and Dried Cherry Clafouti

Courtesy of Martha Stuart Living, October 2005

Prep Time: 15 min. Total Time: 50 min.

Serves 4 to 6

A Clafouti is a classic French dessert with a texture somewhere between that of a baked pudding and a pancake. Serve leftovers for breakfast the next morning, hot or cold.

Unsalted butter, for baking dish

1/4-cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting

1/2 cup dried cherries

1 large Anjou pear, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cored

3/4-cup whole milk

3/4-cup heavy cream

2 large eggs

1-teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/4-cup sugar

Pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 10-inch ceramic tart dish or a 9-1/2" pie plate. Dust with flour, and tap out excess; set aside. Put cherries in a medium bowl, and cover with boiling water by 1-inch. Let stand until plump, about 10 minutes.

Cut pear lengthwise into 1/8-inch thick slices, fan over bottom of prepared dish. Blend milk, cream, eggs, vanilla, sugar, flour, and salt in a blender until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour batter over pear.

Drain cherries; sprinkle over batter. Bake until golden and set, about 25 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes. Cut into wedges. Clafouti can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 1 day.

Comments (8)