Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Graham cracker crumb question...

Posted by Lisa_in_Germany (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 1, 03 at 5:21

Can I substitute equal amounts of Vanilla Wafer crumbs for graham cracker crumbs in a crumb crust recipe?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Graham cracker crumb question...

Like in cheesecakes? Yes, you can. In Sint Maarten, the cook even used brown-edged wafers sometimes when she couldn't get graham crackers.

o

From Cook's Thesaurus:

graham cracker crumbs Equivalents: 14 crackers = 1 cup crumbs. Notes: These mildly sweet crumbs make a terrific cheesecake or pie crust. Look for the crumbs in baking supplies section, or buy whole graham crackers and crush them yourself. Many markets also carry readymade graham cracker pie crusts. Substitutes: Vanilla wafer crumbs (These are sweeter, so add a bit less sugar to the crust mixture.) OR chopped nuts (1 cup graham cracker crumbs + 1 cup sugar = 1 1/2 cup chopped nuts + 1/8 cup sugar) OR chocolate wafer crumbs OR zwieback crumbs (works well in cheesecakes)

o

Thanks, Ginger. I thought I probably could, just thought I would ask first. I have Zwieback, too. Never thought of that.
Lisa

o

Lisa, don't forget the whipped cream on whatever you are making! Get one of those Isi whipped cream makers-I bought one when I was living in Germany and it is one of my favorite kitchen 'appliances' and for sure my daughter in law's favorite. She's like Ginger-everything is better with whipped cream on it.
RL`

o

I gotta get one of those things.

o

I'll have to look for one here. I think I know what you are talking about. They work with CO2 canisters?
Lisa

o

Lisa, yes they are cartridges-nitrogen and I love mine.
Ginger-the whipping cream lasts a lot longer in my ISI too-like at least two weeks. However, the way YOU like it, don't think it will last that long!! LOL
RL`

o

I doubt I could get the cartridges here. Darn!

o

Lisa....

I always use Digestive Biscuits when a recipe calls for Graham Wafers. They are a great substitute and not too sweet.

If you can't find them, here is a recipe which tries to emulate them.
Good Luck.

SharonCb

o

Ginger, you can mail order the cartridges.
RL`

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here